Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TUNE maniac ID - MIJ or MIK ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Oct 22, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Howdy - after trawling thru the search function, and having a peep around a couple of the TUNE websites - i still havent got the info i need to ID my Maniac.

So..have loaded up some snaps, and one of the things i just cant find on here or on the TUNE webbies, is that weird bridge.

Its offset for a start, and although i have managed to find some black bridges like that, i havent found one that has " Stainless Steel " stamped on it.
    The tuners are gold, and the gold is rubbing off to a chrome finish

The jack socket as you can see, is set right into the body at an angle, ( normal for Maniacs ?? )

The sound is awesome - great sustain, and meaty. Perfect fretting, no buzzes or fretouts etc. Not even any dead spots.

Apart from not knowing the year ( mid 80's if its Japanese ?? ) what kind of wood would the neck / body / Fretboard be ?

And just at the body end of the 2 octave fretboard, theres that strange "slope" onto the body - is that also standard ?

Thanks gurus - i'm really stuck on this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Tough question.
    The newer "Tune"s are the ones MIK, however, this "Designed by Tune" makes me wonder a bit.
    Anyway, it looks like one of the old Tunes, the Japanese Tune era, but who knows.

Sounds good, plays good - all good. Who cares then where it was made?

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Well - i reckon everyone is curious about their basses, whether cheap/expensive/Japanese/USA/UK etc.
    Cant say i'm any different - and if i want sell it down the line, its nice to be able to give a good description...

4. Shouldn't the E and A strings wind round the posts the other way?

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I'm more concerned about the history at the moment - i've only just got this Tune, so i'll worry about the strings tomorrow - i got a new set somewhere.

Thanks for pointing it out tho

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    My guess is also an older Japanese one. TB series. The current ones don't have a slanted bridge, but I've seen plently of models with the slanted bridge.

7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I'm also guessing older MIJ, mainly due to that bridge - if it was a black one , i'd still be thinking it was either MIK or MIJ, but since i cant find a Stainlees Steel slanted bridge on any site - MIJ 1980's is my guess , but its still a guess

8. I'm not familiar with TUNE, but I was wondering if maybe the bridge has been changed out? (Probably not, or you would have mentioned it as a possibility already), but I thought I'd just ask.

Interesting bass!

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I dont think the bridge has been changed - mainly due to the odd " slant ". One would have to fit a similar bridge otherwise all sorts of " normal " shape square bridge holes would be evident, or even visible.

So that begs - why bother changing one for another exactly the same - and more to the point - its a TUNE bridge anyway, and so i'd say its original..

But thanks for making think about it :)

10. Yeah; I thought about the hole placement and the fact that the finish doesn't show any differences as if there was a change, but, hey! worth a shot. Sure is interesting...

Have you gone out the the "TUNE" site and seen if you could email them with pics and get their input?

11. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Decent chance of it being a 80's bass, that line of basses started in '84.

12. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK

I think this could be the next plan of attack - :cool:

PS..i read that theres 2 websites and that have NOTHING to do with each other anymore, for whatever reason.. so which would be the one to email ? I would presume the one that is the original Japanese one, but would they understand my email ?

13. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK

Yup - after searching thru the TB archive, i found all the webby address i needed , and i found they started in 84, but still i couldnt find that stainless slant bridge on any guitar.

PS one of those TUNE webbies is humungously slow - i nearly grew a beard waiting for the pages to load :(

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There are even two Tunes.
    One was the old Japanese. Then IIRC, they went out of business. Xush has a couple of Tunes (like a 36", 36-fret red Space Bass), IIRC, he even posted some old Tune catalogs back then.
    The Korean-made ones have not much to do with them, except they share the name. They only surfaced a few years ago.

Most people in Japan speak English. It's taught in every elementary school. And they also had an English webpage, an English catalog, so yes, there's some chance they speak English ;) :D

15. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I did find a few threads on here re. TUNES, but no Stainless slant bridge models.
    I think the email is the best plan ..and since you say they speak good English, i'll give it a shot

Thanks

16. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Oh. had a look a XUSH guys wesbite, and theres no TUNE on his current gear list, nor is there one in his " SOLD /Traded " list :eyebrow:

17. http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/tune/framepage,tune.html

This one has an "email" link. I would imagine that at the very least, their emails may "translate". I notice that the titles and everything like that on the page are in English. Hey, give it a shot. Ya' never know! ;)

Let us know what you find out. :)

18. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Email sent ! ..and with some nice large pics.

I can let you know what they say, but i'm guessing this thread will be lost in the bermuda triangle by the time i get a reply :cool:

19. That's okay. I've "subscribed". It'll pop up when you get back! ;) Thanks!

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've owned 2 Tune Maniacs (still own one). Based upon the pickups (The poles, specifically), I would say that this is a MIJ.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive on this.