1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tune-o-Matic drop in replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hatrson, Jan 16, 2016.

1. hatrson

hatrson

Mar 31, 2014
    Hi there,
    I own an old bass guitar, which I would like to restore. It is equipped with a four-string Tune-o-Matic bridge, which I would like to replace, too. Post-to-post spacing is about 85 mm. I just found these ToM no-name bridges:
    WD music
    CH Guitars UK
    eBay UK #1
    eBay UK #2
    BaCH musik CZ
    ... and many more.

Are they in fact all the same? Are there any better quality bass ToM bridges available then? Do actually manufacturers such as D'Angelico or Gibson have some custom made ToM bridges for their basses (EX-Bass, Les Paul Bass), or do they simply use these cheap models?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

To my eye, they all probably came from the same Chinese factory. Can't prove it but I'd bet real money on it.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    There are different flavors, I have one other type that's somewhat heavier made, but harder to adjust (no intonation screws, you manually move the saddles then lock them down). This sort seems more standard though. I imagine the high end folks might make theirs ought of better materials than the knockoffs, but the cheap ones will probably work out ok - not a whole lot to go wrong on these.

4. hatrson

hatrson

Mar 31, 2014
    bholder: Is this the type you're talking about? Unfortunately the post spacing of this model is wider than the one of these "regular" ToM bridges.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    If you're dead set on changing the bridge, you will probably have to settle for one of the ones you listed - unless you can steal one off of a Gibson, or a Gretsch, or something. Not many basses use them, as you've probably noticed. I have to ask, though - what's wrong with the original one? Personally, I'd keep the one it came with, if at all possible...:)

6. hatrson

hatrson

Mar 31, 2014
    Yep, actually I insist on replacing the bridge for a different color one. I need the bridge to be black or gold. I found one more model on AllParts. Still the same quality like the rest, right? I just thought AllParts is quite a renowned distributer, that would not sell junk...

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Here's the thing about junk. China is making ALL of this stuff now and it its being used by any company making instruments in Asia. It's all the same stuff. They wholesale it to Stew Mac and all parts ,etc. and they sell it out the back door.

ITS ALL THE SAME STUFF. If it was a set of sealed tuners I might worry about the internal being second rate, but a bridge? Nah. My buddy got a six string tunomatic from eBay and it's nice. Cheap and really nice.

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I understand; but, if you keep the original one; for black - can you say "anodized"? And for gold, you could always have it replated... Just a thought.:)

9. BudKup

BudKup

Feb 10, 2016
    Hello, just came across this topic. I have a similar, yet probably a bigger problem. I just acquired a used bass (Greg Bennett RLB4), the bridge of which is in a very bad condition. It is a Tune 'o Matic style bridge, too. Its post center to center spacing is ca. 88 mm, though. I could only find Tune 'o Matic bridges with 85 mm post spacing. Is there a chance I could get a drop in replacement somewhere? Don't really want to do no drilling...

10. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
  11. BudKup

BudKup

Feb 10, 2016
    Remeasured. The post-to-post spacing is, indeed, 88 mm. So is the spacing of the tailpiece. I have probably found the original manufacturer of these parts. It seems to be made by Partsland/WSC - the dimensions are exactly the same, including the overall length of the bridge. Any experience with this brand?

12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    No experience, but does it matter? If you want a drop in replacement you settle for what's available or build your own.

13. BudKup

BudKup

Feb 10, 2016
    Well, it rather does. Once I bought a no-name guitar ToM bridge, the saddles of which were loose and wiggled quite a lot. While tuning, the saddles moved back and forth quite noticeably. I have read many good reviews about WSC pickups, I did not find any information about their parts, though.