Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tune-o-matic style bass bridges?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cpak82, Dec 7, 2004.

1. cpak82

cpak82

Dec 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Colin Kennedy
    I'm building a bass and was wondering if anyone makes or sells tune-o-matic style bass bridges. i see that alembic, gibson, washburn, schechter and others use such bridges on their basses. I've searched the internet, and the closest thing I can find is a hofner trapeze/rosewood assembly, but that wont work. Any ideas? thanks.

-colin

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I've seen some on eBay. I think they were warwick style bridges. I know when I play guitar, I like tune-o-matic bridges the most. But with those sorts of bridges, you usually have to compensate the tall bridge heigth with an angled neck, and constructing a jig to angle the neck pocket I haven't figured out yet. I'm currently trying to build some guitars that I'd like to put tune-o-matic bridges on, I just can't for the life of me figure out how to 'angle' the neck pocket efficiently.....an angled jig seems like it'd work great, but I'm just not there yet.

3. cpak82

cpak82

Dec 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Colin Kennedy
    thanks. i decided just to contact dana b. goods (warwick's us distributor). hopefully they'll get back to me about being able to get such a bridge. the plan I had for angling the neck is a little weird. maybe someone could tell me if it's a stupid idea or not.

I'm planning on making this bass as a neck-through with a tune-o-matic style bridge. I was going to glue the body wings on such that the neck angles back at about 4.5 degrees. the neck blank will be slightly thicker than the body so that I can just plane away part of the neck on the top and bottom of the body to make the through neck flush with the body wings. Is this a back-assward way of doing all of this?

also, I checked ebay. you don't know of any way of getting warwick replacement parts, do you.

thanks.

-colin

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    How many strings are you planning? I know AllParts (not a plug) has something similar to what Gibson uses, but it's $75.

5. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you look really hard, there's a bass tune-o-matic (used on their artcore basses) buried away under "parts" on Ibanez's site. Perhaps you could contact them and request a replacement.

Failing that, guitarjonesusa.com is the only place I've seen 'em.

6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    What Gibson uses (or maybe used on the LP basses) is a Warwick bridge.

I'm not sure if they only sent this out to thier dealer/wholesale people or not but I have in my hand a flyer from all parts that has an item "BB8314 - Warwick Style 4-String Bass Bridge with Stop Tailpiece, chrome - $15.00". I'm not sure if that is a typo or what.

The bridge I would REALLY like to see for bass is Hipshots Baby Grand. Here it is on guitar, I would be really stoked to see a vesion I could use on my basses.

[​IMG]

7. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Scott, isnt that baby grand bridge cool?? I've seen those in mags, though never in person......I thought I read the radius was something weird like 11" too??? Can you use that bridge with a 12" radiused fretboard??? maybe I'll try one of those out .

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    That guitar has a straight 12" radius and it setup just fine. But yeah, it is a really cool bridge. With height adjustable saddles it would be even awesomer and a bass model would be the awesomest.

9. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Is it possible to install the tune-o-matic bridge without having to angle the neck. Simply if you just shave of some of the body top or rout around teh bridge to it sits lower, would that do the trick. Or is teh whole design of the bridge is meant to work only with an angled neck?

Cheers

10. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    i think this type of bridge is designed for an angled neck, but of course there are ways around it. CPak had a good method he described above that would work. I think melvyn Hiscock states a method like that in his book, angling the body wings of a neck through instead of the neck. I know carvin sells a low-profile tuneomatic bridge for guitars...........I dont think there's a high demand for them for basses anymore. Try looking on eBay for a warwick style or an old brass alembic bridge. You could probley get one from Alembic, but it'd cost $200 or more.....

11. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    What about the radius of the bridge, would a radiused bridge work with flat fingerboard, or is it al in the sadles and has nothing to do with the radius?