1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tune preamp.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 73jbass, Apr 2, 2011.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have Tune TWB53 bass that I was thinking about swapping the preamp on. The factory pre is pretty aggressive to my ears, and I though about trying something voiced different. Anybody done this preamp swap?

2. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    i also have twb gzp2 preamp and now i have kent armstrong pickup with audere preamp on it. Sounds great now. From my experience,upgrade the pickups first then the preamp...

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Interesting though. Anybody else?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    According to the Tune website, the preamp specs are:

Treble:+17dB/-17dB at 8kHz
    Middle:+12dB/-12dB at 350Hz
    Bass:+15dB/-15dB at 90Hz

By this alone, I would expect it to be very warm, given that the "aggressive" frequencies, generally between 600Hz and 1.2kHz, are not being boosted by your preamp. If it still sounds aggressive, it's your pickups. I don't know who makes a drop-in replacement, unfortunately, but if you're willing to have the body routed, some Seymour Duncans will probably be right up your alley.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021