Tune Space Bass + Warwick/Status Buzzard = ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pilotjones, Apr 11, 2003.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    ... maybe something like this. From luthier Todd Keehn of TK Instruments, this is the "Ichabod." Never seen one in person, but I like the looks of it and thought I'd share.
    Some interesting features- this guy only does flat (unradiused) fingerboards, and he will optionally do stainless steel round rod for frets, and will do Novax fanned frets.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Cool bass, though I don't see any "Buzzard" in it--"Dolphin", maybe. Lotsa "Space Bass", though! Does he have a website?

3. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    I was thinking it's a little buzzardy with the opposing pairs of two sharpish points around the control knobs and in the armrest area. Site is http://www.tkinstruments.com/.
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i like it a lot. some of the details are very interesting, especially the way the strings are secured in back... its like... half through the body, but without using a big ugly tailpiece. very nice touch.
  5. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, the string anchorage is interesting. Very clean. It bears some resemblance to this:
  6. Looks good as a bass, but IMHO, would look better as a tapped instrument (Chapman Stick, Warr Guitar ect ect...)
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I like it, but what's with the non-adjustable bridge anyways? How are you going to tweak it to your playing style?
  8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I kinda like it. I agree that it would look better as a touch instrument, though. I really like the looks of the acoustic-ish saddle/bridge, but intonation would worry me. Especially on a fretted. Alot of acoustic guitars have a compensated saddle, usually on the B string, to make up for this. I've never seen one on a bass, though. I LOVE the acoustic-ish bridge on Xush's F Bass, but it's fretless, so you could easily make up for that intonation issue.
    FWIW, Todd is a cool guy to deal with. I've been getting Locking Sperzel tuners from him for a few months now. Thinking about a blue/black set for my black ATK. Maybe chrome/black...I dunno.
  9. imagine if that bass had a normal-looking rounded bottom instead of the cutaway...now that would be sweet
  10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    The website says, "The bridge is a hand made intonated graphite saddle, fit to a Honduran Rosewood base." Although to me the photos don't look like it is intonated.
    And of course, even if it is properly intonated for a certain set of strings at a particular action height, this is not a universal intonation adjustment.
    Then again, strangely enough, Carl Thompson seems to have no trouble with using a straight, non-adjustable bridge on a fretted instrument:
  11. It looks like it would have excellent balance. Id like to see it with 4 strings.
  12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Very cool! I like it.
  13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What the...You guys should take a look at his site. Some very interesting stuff. The Ztar being the oddest. The MIDI upright looks kinda cool too.