Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tune Space Bass + Warwick/Status Buzzard = ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pilotjones, Apr 11, 2003.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    ... maybe something like this. From luthier Todd Keehn of TK Instruments, this is the "Ichabod." Never seen one in person, but I like the looks of it and thought I'd share.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some interesting features- this guy only does flat (unradiused) fingerboards, and he will optionally do stainless steel round rod for frets, and will do Novax fanned frets.

2. Cool bass, though I don't see any "Buzzard" in it--"Dolphin", maybe. Lotsa "Space Bass", though! Does he have a website?

Mike

3. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I was thinking it's a little buzzardy with the opposing pairs of two sharpish points around the control knobs and in the armrest area. Site is http://www.tkinstruments.com/.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i like it a lot. some of the details are very interesting, especially the way the strings are secured in back... its like... half through the body, but without using a big ugly tailpiece. very nice touch.

5. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, the string anchorage is interesting. Very clean. It bears some resemblance to this:
    [​IMG]

6. Looks good as a bass, but IMHO, would look better as a tapped instrument (Chapman Stick, Warr Guitar ect ect...)

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I like it, but what's with the non-adjustable bridge anyways? How are you going to tweak it to your playing style?

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I kinda like it. I agree that it would look better as a touch instrument, though. I really like the looks of the acoustic-ish saddle/bridge, but intonation would worry me. Especially on a fretted. Alot of acoustic guitars have a compensated saddle, usually on the B string, to make up for this. I've never seen one on a bass, though. I LOVE the acoustic-ish bridge on Xush's F Bass, but it's fretless, so you could easily make up for that intonation issue.
    FWIW, Todd is a cool guy to deal with. I've been getting Locking Sperzel tuners from him for a few months now. Thinking about a blue/black set for my black ATK. Maybe chrome/black...I dunno.

9. imagine if that bass had a normal-looking rounded bottom instead of the cutaway...now that would be sweet

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The website says, "The bridge is a hand made intonated graphite saddle, fit to a Honduran Rosewood base." Although to me the photos don't look like it is intonated.
    And of course, even if it is properly intonated for a certain set of strings at a particular action height, this is not a universal intonation adjustment.
    Then again, strangely enough, Carl Thompson seems to have no trouble with using a straight, non-adjustable bridge on a fretted instrument:
    [​IMG]

11. It looks like it would have excellent balance. Id like to see it with 4 strings.

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Very cool! I like it.

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What the...You guys should take a look at his site. Some very interesting stuff. The Ztar being the oddest. The MIDI upright looks kinda cool too.