1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tune up well worth it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cchorney, Jan 6, 2012.

1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I play with a couple of bands, one of them I leave my combo in the rehearsal space to save effort, the guy who owns the space has all sorts of band gear of his own there so lately I've been playing his mid 80's -ish Squire Jazz bass. Its not very enjoyable to play but all I carry now is a mic and boom and a couple cables, so that's nice. So the other day I decided that if I was going to play it, I might as well tune it up. So I showed up early with my tools and adjusted the truss rod, action, and intonation. Wow - what a difference! It sounds better. It plays better. Actually that's not true. It sounds and plays GREAT! The round wounds on it are ancient (or as I call it, "broken it"), and I cut up some foam and inserted it under the bridge so now it has a great sound for playing with pick or fingers, at least in the genre I play (60's - current rock and soul).

Lesson learned - tune up your toys, then it will be more fun when you turn up your volume!

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Moral of the story... Set up your basses, kids.
    Even a cheaper instrument will play better with a tune-up.

3. That's a pretty controversial position to take! ;)

4. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    That's me, way out on a limb with my crazy "do basic maintenance on your bass and it'll sound better" stance. :D

5. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    What is a "maintenance" ??

6. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    A certain Mr. Jamerson might disagree with you. :bag:

Seriously though, yes. My MIM Precision isn't anything special, but with new strings and a good setup it plays great.

7. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I actually prefer the sound and feel of dead strings over new strings on my basses, so I rarely change them. But bad intonation and a bowed neck? Even Mr. Jamerson would probably consent to that!