Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tune-Up

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Spearhead, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Im having a very hard time resolving inthe last two bars of this song. I can walk the rest of it just fine, but the switch in the last 4 bars ( l E-7 l A7 l Bbmaj7 l E-7 A7 l ) has me thoroughly perplexed. It feels like it should end on a D maj7.
    Ive been walking this piece by staying in the key of D for the first 4 bars, C for the next four bars, and Bb for next four bars. But, the last 4 bars has dumbfounded me. Anybody have any experience with this piece.

2. C'mon, I know one of you has to know this song pretty well. Tune-Up by Miles Davis. Is the question stupid or something?

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Sorry to say I don't think I have heard the song, but I'm going to take a shot and say that you are probably correct with the Dmaj7. A7 would be the dominant (V) chord wanting to resolve to the tonic (I) which is Dmaj7. That's why you say it feels it should end with the D.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well. I'm not sure what the problem is - as looking at my Real Book, it does go to the DMaj7 at the end of the second time bar - so at the very end of the 32 bar sequence of the head, the last two bars are DMaj7.

But anyway, I would always say to take each chord on its merits and for a bassline you really need to outline that the chords are changing and the root motion - you shouldn't just be choosing any notes from a notional "key".

So -if you look at the lessons and links on the DB side and search for threads on Walking Bass Lines ther has been lots of advice on how to construct walking lines - but you do really need to start looking at chords for constructing lines - so look at the arpeggios, look at linking these together in flowing lines - possibly linking with scalar notes, but you can't just say - "I'm in this key I can play any note from it" - you have to take account of each chord and its function.

So Miles didn't write Tune Up as four sections in various keys - he specified chords and if you're not outlining them - then you're not playing Tune Up!!

5. I actually only have an old piece of sheet music with the chords and general melody on it and was going by that, so it must be wrong. If I presented myself as just running through notes in certain keys, then I have presented myself falseley. I am very aware of where the chords are going and merley used the 3 key centers (D, C, Bb) to organize my playing and orient myself. My lines have been harmonius, not confusing and careless. I just mereley had a problem with the last 2 bars, but thankyou for clearing that up.