Tune Woodbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    I had a brochure from the Tune Bass company several years ago and noticed a fretless model called a Woodbass that looked interesting. Does anyone have experience with these basses? Are they still made or are any available?
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yes they are pretty cool midrange basses, if you have any real specific let me know, i work at a store that carries them.
  3. Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Oh thanks. I didn't realize they still made them. Are the same as the ones made in the 1990s? Do you have a link?
  4. I just bought a Tune Bass 5 String Model TWB 53. This is a great bass I also have a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. This Tune bass is really sweet. It is very well made and it has a modern bright sound. I use a Roland Cube 100 amp and with a few tweeks its also very bassy. This is a great Bass, you may want to check out the Tune bass website, it is in both english and japanese.

Take Care be Safe
    Big Ce :bassist:
  5. sharkli

Oct 28, 2008
    I play a 5-string fretless Tune Woodbass. I bought it new in Birmingham UK about 15 years ago. It is a delight to play.

My amp is a Trace Elliot 1215 combo. Weighs a ton but a fantastic piece of kit.
  6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

The new ones and the old ones are NOT the same. The new ones are made in Korea and are not as good quality as the older ones from Japan (original company). TUNE is still in business in Japan.

One the Woodbass - really nice... I played a 5 string and wish I had bought it! Nice woody tone with a little (not a huge amount of) punch. The ones from Japan are NOT mid-range quality.

I also REALLY liked their Space Bass - but it had a 36 inch scale.

Dan K.
  7. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    the new Tunes are OK, but, I remember the old tunes especially an old King bass headless 6 that I really should have bought.....they where are hip as anything you could play
  8. Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  9. I came across an ad (on craigslist, I think) for that bass or one just like it, which means it's probably an active listing.
  10. steweDbass

Jun 9, 2013
    Tokyo Japan
    Bacchus Endorsing Artist and direct Dealer of new and used MIJ Brands.
    Tune are still in operation in Japan and you can certainly have a woodbass made to order.
    I am a bassist and gear reviewer based in Tokyo and I work with Japanese makers as a foreign representative.
    Please be aware that Tune Korea is an illegal knock off of the original Tune Japan and uses inferior materials and circuitry. Tune Japan create high end basses using high grade materials and have another brand now called Phoenix partially to differentiate from the Korean mimic.
    This is the real Tune website http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/tune/framepage,tune.html
    If you are interested in Tune Japan / Phoenix basses please contact me as I can and will help.
    FYI Tune Japan and Phoenix basses are in the $2500 - $6000 price range and are hand built unlike the Korean ones which are mass produced and illegally copy Tune's original designs.