1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuned down Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ethompson2, Apr 22, 2010.

1. What strings do you all suggest...? I've got a 55-02 tuned down a whole step. I'm currently using the D'addario nickel wound super longs with a .130 low B. Just wondering if there is anyone else out that does this and what strings they use?

Peace

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Tuning to A?

Look for a set that has a .145 or .150 on bottom.

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  3. Yes I'm tuning the low B to an A and all other strings a whole step down as well.. I'll look into that. Thanks

4. The Claude

The Claude

Jan 15, 2005
    Fairfield County, Connecticut
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, Lakland Basses, Genz Benz
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I did a search and this came up so I figured I would revive it rather than post a new one.

I have a Lakland 55-02 and was wondering if anyone has a Lakland or similar bass with a 35 inch scale and is tuning down a whole step to ADGCF. Are you stringing through the body or the bridge? What strings and gauges are you using that work well with this tuning? I'm also open to using flats if they provide more tension since I won't be doing any slapping with this band.

Thanks.

5. One suggestion as a 55-01 fretless player would be labella deep talkin flats.

I don't downtime and happily use chromes.

6. dairyman3833

dairyman3833

Aug 19, 2010
    Chicago
    Im not allowed to say really.
    Nickels don't sound as good as steel on my 5502. I have tuned to A using DR Fatbeams. Tuning that low can cause some grief on your setup. Do you know how to setup your own bass...meaning action and intonation? Don't mean to sound like a douche just making sure you've got everything covered. The Fats can take that down tuning but are not as bug as say a 150 gauge string. I use the the 125's but you may prefer the 130's.
    The reason is simple really if you think about. Playing that low if your strings do not have any bite to them, playing low they will get lost in the mix. So with the Fat's you can have your B be an A but still have a bite that gets through the mix so everyone can still hear you. That's why I like them.
    ohhh and they last forever. Well not forever, but they last longer than GHS,bah, Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, D'Addaro's and strings you can buy at GuitarCenter or whatnot.

Nikel's kinda take of that top end bite, so they will be more prone to get lost in the mix vs. Steel strings.
    Now La Bella's are great strings as well. But do not go for flats. They will get lost in the mix. Great for Fretless but not for regular unless your going for that specific type of sound. Which is exactly how it sounds Flat. They round of the high end of your strings so. Go for the Deep Talkin Steel. If you go to Bassstingsonline you get a discount if your a talkbass member...gotta message somebody on this forum though...forget who just search it.
    What style are u playing as well?
    String through the body, it carries more vibration through the body which in turn will translate well to your sound.