Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuned to fifths - need string gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sDg, Aug 14, 2003.

1. sDg

sDg

Feb 26, 2003
    Wise, Virginia
    I have recently begun to experiment with tuning to fifths (D-A-E-B). What would be suitable string gauges for this tuning? If it makes any difference, I prefer medium guage strings and typically use nickel flat or pressure wounds. I have yet to find a vendor I am absolutely in love with, though.

sDg

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    There are a lot of string tension calculators on the www. Run a search at google and take a look.

http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/StringTensionApplet.html

Since you are detuning the low E to D you should be OK there or at worst go with a heavier string, the A should be fine since there is no change, the E is up a step from D and the G is up 2 steps. So take a look at something like .110, .80, .55, .35 This is just a guesstimate but you see where I am going.

You could get a set of light, medium, and heavy in the same string family and experiment. As opressive as that seems, the way to tell for sure is good old fashioned empiracle testing.

3. sDg

sDg

Feb 26, 2003
    Wise, Virginia
    Thanks fretless. Evidently I am not completely off my rocker. I was kind of thinking (guessing) 105-80-55-30. But since it is a somewhat strange tuning, I figured I would end up using trial and error.

sDg