Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by christle, Sep 15, 2003.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    On one of my basses I have some Gotoh style tuners. I have noticed recently that the E string tends to slip out of tune after a couple of hours of playing, not much, but enough to notice. Now on these tuners there is a screw on the top of the head. Can this be tightened to add more stick or am I looking at replacing the tuners down the road. Normally I would get rid of the bass but it sounds nice and its my beater bass anyway.

Any advice is appreciated.

Dan

2. Spose so, dunno what the Gotohs are like but the ones on my Yammys have a little screw that you tighten or loosen to suit your preference. Give it a twirl, if the tuner falls off you'll need to stick it back on and possibly try something else.

You don't want it too hard, so tighten it till you find it hard to twist the tuner then back it off a smidge.

Josh D

3. ...the screw is to adjust the tuner so it doesn't slip.

4. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

5. If that doesn't work, remember slippage can also be caused by having too much string wrapped around the tuning post, or by having a string that's falling apart, or by not stretching the string out a tad after installing.

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Good points! Thanks