Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner Advice Please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I need to get a good tuner that doesn't bounce around when trying to tune my B string. I've been using an old Korg and Seiko. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Boss TU-2, stomp box tuner. Accept no substitute!!! Very accurate and its what the pros use.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the tu-2 is pricey, but worth every penny! I definitley like the strobe tuner mode. Very VERY accurate.

4. the Boss tu-2 is only $80....worth every penny..not to mention,its faster than my guit players Korg rackmount and he paid way more than I did

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I have a TU-2 and like it. It gets my low b no problem.

People seem to like the TU-2 on the stage floor, and the Korg in the racks.

Tim.

6. How does the comprable Sabine compare to the TU-2? I believe the NEX2000 stomp box tuner

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Another vote for the Boss TU-2 pedal here.

If you prefer a rack unit many like the Korg DTR tuners, both the old DTR1/DTR2 and the newer DTR1000/DTR2000.

But I think the TU-2 is as good as, if not better than, the Korgs.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    one more vote for the tu-2.

There's a new korg one, the dt-10, which is of similar spec to the tu-2. I haven't tried one tho.

9. I have the Arion Stage Tuner, which is less than half the cost of the TU-2. It's quick and does very well with the B-string, unfortunately, it's not chromatic.

-Steve

10. h.henry

h.henry

May 30, 2003
    Augusta, GA
    I just got a TU-2 tuner today , couldn't be happier with it..

Honestly I have had alot of stage tuners and this one is by far the best.

Another vote for TU-2 :)

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    TU2. It tracks fast, and it's a stomp pedal.

12. I bought my TU-2 tuner last August and have considered it one of my best investments. It certainly is not one of those "neat" things that I've purchased, used it once or twice then to just let it sit on the shelf. As mentioned earlier, it definitely is fast and accurate. It should also be mentioned that the display is fairly large and bright allowing for easy reading even in poorly illuminated conditions. Oh, can also be used as a convenient mute switch if left in line between the bass and amp, as I do.

13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I actually got the new Boss TU-15...run it out of the tuner out jack on the front of my WM 4004 head and it sits on top of my amp...as accurate as the TU-2, only not in a stomp box format...totally works for me in my context, plus it does some cool stuff that the TU-2 doesn't...like accu-pitch...intonation "octave" adjustment...it's a pretty happening little unit!:D

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The TU-2 is the only pedal I own. It's a life saver on live gigs.

15. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I just bought a TU-15 last weekend,It is so nice to have one tuner for all my basses,It works great on the six strings and easy to use on the drop "D". The octave option is very cool also.
    I still have my old TU-12 tuner it served me well
    over the years.here is the tuner set up. [​IMG]

16. The TU-2 even works as a mute-pedal when you put it in the effects-loop of your amp!

17. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    If you are using really nasty roundwounds (like me, Roto 66's)and your pickup is near your bridge, turn your onboard tone controls way down when tuning. This passes the fundimental freq to the tuner and keeps higher freq overtones from making the needle unstable. Do this and almost any tuner will behave a lot better. T-Pig.

18. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks everybody! I'll try some of the suggestions.

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Another TU-2 advocate - it's a MANDATORY peice of gear in my bands....

DD

20. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Wherever I go, whatever I play, I *always* carry two pedals: Boss TU-2 and Boss LineSelector (doubling jobs: upright/electric)

The mute on the TU-2 is great for unplugging the bass before show and during breaks.

Herwig