1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner Bushing Rattles Against Headstock: Cheap Fix?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Dec 20, 2011.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    My friend's kid is interested in the bass and so to see if she'll stick with it I told my friend I'd get something together; I put together a P-bass copy out of I believe mostly a Jay Turser.

Surprisingly enough I got the action and intonation better than most of my own instruments. The only hold up is the bushing tuner hardware doesn't grip the headstock and rattles when I play an open string.

Any cheap fix ideas? Trying to keep this project as low budget as possible. I was thinking sticky tack?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Masking tape around the bushing.

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I would think that a drop of Super Glue gel would work also. Just a drop so you can remove it later if you want. Also rubber cement, etc.

You are lucky you found it - sometimes these buzzes are impossible to locate, like a wire inside the cavity hitting the pick guard, etc.

5. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Hey guys wanted to update:

I went with masking tape. I cut about an inch long strip and folded it in half the long way (so the tape essentially is thin and double sided)

I wrapped it around the bushing and it was a nice tight grip.

Glue also crossed my mind, but I thought it might rattle loose? (I could be wrong) The tape seems to be wedged in enough that it won't rattle and if it ever needs to be dis-assembled it should be easy to tap out with a hammer.