Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner for a 7 string

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Any help appreciated. Did a quick search and didn't come up with any answers that were of any use.

Is there a tuner out there that will tune all 7 strings on my bass. I tune my 7 string low B to high F but my current tuner will only tune BEADG.

I can tune the C by leaving the tuner on G and pulling a harmonic on the 7th fret. However I cannot tune my F string using the tuner. I have to go through the amps and tune using the C string, 5th fret harmonic and F string 7th fret harmonic. This does the job but makes a noise and means I cannot tune up mid set [I play in a church and they would not appreciate me pulling harmonics in between songs to check tuning]. My bass stays in tune really well and so far has easily lasted the whole set but I do not want to rely on luck that it stays in tune.

Any suggestions

thanks

Matthew

2. any half way decent tuner should do fine... you just need one that can tune to any note not just the default tuning ones...
    i recommend the Boss TU-2

3. Thanks for your reply,

How does it tune to any note? I know it is probably a silly question but I am used to a tuner where you move a slider along to the set notes.

Thanks

Matthew

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The Boss tu-2 will pick up any note that's on your bass. ;) I use it as a stage tuner for my seven string, it's fast and accurate.

5. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    you don't even have to use a stage tuner. Really any chromatic tuner will work.

6. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    ..chromatic being the operative word, Matt..:D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Boss TU-2. It automatically finds the note and displays the letter. Very convenient and visible on a dark stage. It also mutes your signal when you stomp on it.

8. Thanks for all the replies guys, I am now a wiser person and will probably be going for the Boss TU2
    very shortly.

Regards

Matthew:bassist: