1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner for low B.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by felixxx, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Forgive my ignorance, but I would like to know which tuner you guys use for low B on a bass?
    My tuner doesn't go that low, sometimes even E gives it hickups.
    Thanks.

2. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    I just picked up a Korg Pitchjack for $20, easiest tuner Ive ever had. Just plug it into to the input jack. Plus it reads the low B like a champ.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/tuners/pitchjack/tu_pj.asp

If you're looking for a pedal or rack tuner specifically, sorry i have little experience with those.

3. Grank

Grank

Jan 30, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a tuner in my Boss pedal (ME-50B) which works fine.

The $10 battery operated ones IMHO were "wanting". Considered buying a seperate "better" tuner ... but balked at the $100 price range and just stayed with the pedal.

[edit - hadn't tried the Korg - mine was a nemless Aussie model]

4. tomsewell

tomsewell

Feb 21, 2009
    Tupelo, MS
    Can't go wrong with a Boss TU-2 chromatic pedal tuner.

5. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    [​IMG]

best ever.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Boss TU-2, Peterson VS-1, Sabine rackmount whatever it is, they all work. If your tuner has trouble with lower strings here's the things to try...

A. Use the neck PUP to cut down on the overtones
    B. Use the 12th fret harmonic- it IS exactly an octave above your open string unless your strings are worn out (in which case tuning really doesn't matter).
    C. Cut the highs on the bass
    D. Damp all the other strings

jte

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    See post #5.

8. Sabine RT7000

It'll do a low A without a problem.

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Sonic Research Turbo Tuner.

Don't mess with the best, Korg/Boss doesn't even come close.

10. Thanks, this makes sense. But I do need a new tuner, 'cause the old one is cheap piece of sh**.:)

11. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    +1 I love mine!

Cheers,
    Jim

12. Yep, it even handles F# and C# pretty well.

13. Huge +1. Bongo turned me onto one and it is by far the best tuner I've ever had.

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm using the Peterson VS-II but it was a bit pricey and overly-sensitive when trying to capture the B. If I had to buy a replacement, I'd probably opt for the Turbo Tuner.

Riis

15. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Happy with the Korg.

16. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    I loved my Korg CA-30 until it disappeared. I tried a Behringer tuner pedal but wasn't thrilled with it. I use a Planet Waves micro headstock tuner which is OK (suffers from slow response) except for the low B (easier to use octave). I tried the newer NS Micro and it was worse than the PW one so I sold it to a guitarist. Anyone know a good headstock tuner for a 5-string with a low B?

pw-ct-12_1. <- Planet Waves | NS -> ?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_eictrOAEgHm8TQwOaZ9Tt0MUuwrFGmaGHUNL8aO97rkdOEDmG8Hh4nrjS9485u3lVFe3cBuO&usqp=CAY.

17. larrygs

larrygs Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Costa Rica
    Too bad for the Planet Waves NS Micro Headstock Tuner, I really wanted one, but if the Low B gives problem then not much to do.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    the d'ad micro doesn't get B. Mine doesn't. Hell it barely reads the E.

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I gave my gf a clip tuner that reads low B well. I don't remember the brand but I'll find out.

20. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Ok, so just got the SNARK SN-8 tuner in today and since I had my Steinberger out, I tried it on that - IT ACTUALLY FIT ON THE NECK! :D I also tried another 5-string bass and both worked flawlessly. It has amazingly fast response, no issues with a low B, and on the higher strings it registered in almost real-time as I played (slowly). It also has a metronome feature (tap or manually set) and a nice bright display. It has a curved neck to hold the display and a pivoting ball on both ends so you can move it all sorts of ways to position it to see the display.

All for ~$12 from Amazon - I'm very happy now.

sn8back. Snark_ST-200.