1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner for setting intonation: Keep using my Polytune Clip or buy a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jan 2, 2018.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I currently have a Polytune clip as my only tuner. I've been noticing even in strobe mode that it's still a bit fiddly with setting intonation, especially on the A for some reason. It likes to jump around a lot on the fretted note.

Am I better off getting a designated tuner pedal like the Polytune for this or even another clip on like the Peterson StroboClip?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wouldn't trust a clip on for intonation, especially if you say it's fiddly already.

3. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    You can't go wrong with the Sonic Research Turbo Tuners. Extremely accurate pedal strobe tuners. Great for stage and setting intonation. I would consider these the gold standard.

If you have a smartphone the Peterson iStrobosoft apps work very well and are very inexpensive for the quality. Not really stage friendly but great for setting intonation during setups. They sell an inexpensive adapter to use with a 1/4" guitar cable that greatly increases the usability.

I generally avoid clip-ons for setting intonation or on-stage tuning.

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I looked into the app and I had a 1/4 to 1/8 cable, but it didn't work. I guess I need the adapter?

5. The sonic research is excellent. I personally find the TC electronics tuner to be an accurate tuner as well.

Clutchcargo, Nofrets2 and Wfrance3 like this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If it's an iPhone, yes you'll need an adapter of some sort. The 1/8" is an output not an input.

markmck79 likes this.
  7. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    The iPhone jack is technically both in & out. It is a TRRS jack.

Dave W and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  8. I use a little korg hand held tuner for setups. Cheap and very accurate.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It's an android.

10. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I believe most Android devices use the same TRRS I/O jack.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well it doesn't work as input in this regard, so I guess I'd need the adapter.

12. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    Sorry if I have not made myself clear; yes, to use the input functionality on your device’s headphone jack you will need an adapter with a TRRS plug, such as the one Peterson makes.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Ok, gotcha lol So do you think I'd be best maybe trying that first? Is the app as good as buying a designated pedal?

markmck79 likes this.
  14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Cool! Thanks for the info!

markmck79 likes this.
  15. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    I bought the PolyTune clip and send it straight back. Clip-ons work okay for guitar, but I've never found one that I like for bass. I only have one pedal between me and the amp and it's a GoGo tuner.

16. navijaz

navijaz Guest

Sep 20, 2016
    I have both the Polytune clip on and a Polytune 2 pedal, as well as the Peterson clip. I have found the Polytune pedal to be perfectly adequate for setting the intonation. It definitely beats the Peterson clip from my experience. So my advice would be to get the pedal. It's kind of an essential to have, anyway.

17. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I think it just depends on how you're using it. The app is more than adequate for doing setups and pre-show or at-home tuning.

That said, I always keep a pedal tuner on my board. The Sonic Research Turbo Tuners are more accurate, but I like the buffer in my newly acquired TU-3W better and feel it is accurate enough.

Dudaronamous likes this.
  18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm an at home player so that would suit my needs.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I tried a variety of tuners over the years. Most recently I’ve switched to using one made by Sonic Research and haven’t regretted it. It’s fast and accurate. And great for either stage use or for shop setup work. Might be a little on the overkill side just for home use. But it’s a onetime investment that will be all the tuner you’ll ever need. The ST-300, their current flagship model, runs abut $129 street. Highly recommended.

20. FunWithBass

FunWithBass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    I use a TC Electronics Polytune 2 pedal and put it on strobe display (and set it for bass tuning, of course).

navijaz and fourstringdrums like this.