Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner Help Please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SERadtke, Mar 31, 2003.

1. I've been using a Boss TU12 Chromatic tuner for years on my 12 string guitar and 4 string bass. I recently purchased a 5 string bass and am having a tuning problem. I can't pick up my B string when tuning. Maybe the tuner can't pick up the lower frequency of the B string???
    I'd rather not have to buy another tuner but if that's the case, I'm interested in a rack mount tuner(I've already got a handheld!).... any suggestions from experience? I'm contemplating the Korg DTR 1000 or the Sabine RT7000.
    Thanks!!

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    You are correct sir. The TU-12 won't pick up the B string. I just played the 5th fret and 12th fret on the b string to tune it. My rack is heavy enough without adding a tuner to it. ;)

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I have the same issue, since I'm always borrowing the guitar players tuners to tune my 5 strings. If you play fretless you probably dont want to rely on a fretted note for intonation.

so just place your finger gently on the octave harmonic on the B string. The tuner should pick that up just fine.

4. dufus1478

dufus1478

Mar 26, 2003
    Yes, I agree. Tune by fret or tune by ear. You know hit the B and the E slowly , you should be able to hear if the string is out of tune of not.

5. Aloha from Hawaii people!

I had the same problem tuning B string.

Try this...I didn't come up with it...just help
    from fellow 'Low Down Guys'....

Use only one pick up to tune the strings.
    In other words cut out one pick up...I usually cut the neck pick up..and use the bridge only.

Seems what happens is that there is too much harmonics between both pick ups.

Using one has a more clean signal...and
    besides the bridge pick up is even cleaner.

Try it you may like it.

my $.02

Aloha again

Vern
    bassplayer60