Tuner mounting: to pre-drill or not to pre-drill?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Aug 21, 2005.

1. There's probably a really simple answer to this, but I'm a little paranoid about my new baby. So here goes: when mounting the tuners, should the mounting screws have pre-drilled holes or can they just go right into the wood. Its a Warmoth J-bass neck made of Goncalo Alves that I'm planning to put Hipshot American Heritage-series tuners on, if it helps. The same question goes for the neck-mounting screws and the control plate screws. Thanks!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It is always best to pre-drill. That way the wood is actually removed and not just mooshed into the rest of the wood. You could probably do it without incident but if you want it done right, you should pre-drill.
  3. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Predrill pilot holes
  4. You might get away without "drilling" per se if the wood is soft enough by using a very sharp punch. It works on maple pretty well but I don't know about goncalo alves. My punch is long and thin and I can get it in just about as far as I could drill. It's a little more controllable than a hand drill. What I like to do is put one tuner in and adjust it's angle to the headstock with a small machinists square and then mark the holes for the screws and then move to the next for marking.

And on that subject of drilling - When I have to use a drill for this process, I don't use a powered drill. I've punched a few too many holes through the front of headstocks :rolleyes: I like to use one of those Stanley "batter mixer" drills with the crank handle on the side. I can twist it very slowly down to my mark on my bit. Someone may pipe in with the idea of a depth stop on the bit but the bits used for tuner screws are so small, I can't keep one on the bit without breaking the bit so I usually just put a piece of tape around it as a mark.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When drilling very small holes, I prefer to use a rotary rool, AKA a Dremel. They are smaller and lighter and thus easier to control.

A little tape on the bit to mark the depth is always a good idea.