Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner Options?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jobu3, Aug 13, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm in search of a tuner that has a decently visible readout: I don't need to see it from 30 feet away, but I don't want to need to bend right over it and squint to read it either. Something that I can see from 5-10 feet would be ideal. I want it to be fast, accurate, visible, sturdy, and small, so no rack tuners. I do know that the Boss tuner pedal is pretty good and fits my description... Is there anything else out there that is similar but not necessarily in a pedal format? I'll be using the tuner out of my preamp. I'd like to keep it under $100.00.

:confused: :help:

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the link in my signature...but oh well.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    And that is a bit more than I wanted to spend... Thanks for the link though. :cool:

4. Get the Boss TU-2. Cost around $90.00 new.

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use the Sabine NEX-5000 tuner

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used Korg DTR-2 can be had for right around 100, and your rack will look like R2-D2...

7. I've got a TU-2 sitting in a drawer (keep forgetting to sell it...). I've had others, but was never quite satisfied with them for various reasons (seeming lack of accuracy, poor display (hard to see and/or use), etc). I've finally found one that is everything I wanted in a tuner, the Peterson StroboStomp. It costs a bit more than the $100 ceiling mentioned, but is worth it. Very sturdy, clear and easily visible display, and accurate. If you use the battery rather than a wall wart 9V adaptor, you will like the easy battery door on the side (like the easy-change battery on basses like the Pedulla Raptures and a few others). It also tracks faster than any other tuner I've seen, which is nice. The DI on it is a nice bonus, though you would have to absolutely trust the person running the board... The tuner out on the front of my iAMP 800 has a use afterall...

If you get a chance to use one you will probably become willing to spring for it, check it out at: http://www.strobostomp.com/

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got one new for $70 for my bro to use. He's yet to have one complaint about it.

9. The two tuners I've been the happiest with are the Boss TU-2 and the Boss TU-12. I've had the TU-2 for about 5 years or so and I've had my TU-12 for around 10 years or so.