1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuner Options?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jobu3, Aug 13, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm in search of a tuner that has a decently visible readout: I don't need to see it from 30 feet away, but I don't want to need to bend right over it and squint to read it either. Something that I can see from 5-10 feet would be ideal. I want it to be fast, accurate, visible, sturdy, and small, so no rack tuners. I do know that the Boss tuner pedal is pretty good and fits my description... Is there anything else out there that is similar but not necessarily in a pedal format? I'll be using the tuner out of my preamp. I'd like to keep it under $100.00.

:confused: :help:

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the link in my signature...but oh well.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    And that is a bit more than I wanted to spend... Thanks for the link though. :cool:

4. Get the Boss TU-2. Cost around $90.00 new.

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use the Sabine NEX-5000 tuner

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used Korg DTR-2 can be had for right around 100, and your rack will look like R2-D2...

7. I've got a TU-2 sitting in a drawer (keep forgetting to sell it...). I've had others, but was never quite satisfied with them for various reasons (seeming lack of accuracy, poor display (hard to see and/or use), etc). I've finally found one that is everything I wanted in a tuner, the Peterson StroboStomp. It costs a bit more than the $100 ceiling mentioned, but is worth it. Very sturdy, clear and easily visible display, and accurate. If you use the battery rather than a wall wart 9V adaptor, you will like the easy battery door on the side (like the easy-change battery on basses like the Pedulla Raptures and a few others). It also tracks faster than any other tuner I've seen, which is nice. The DI on it is a nice bonus, though you would have to absolutely trust the person running the board... The tuner out on the front of my iAMP 800 has a use afterall...

If you get a chance to use one you will probably become willing to spring for it, check it out at: http://www.strobostomp.com/

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got one new for $70 for my bro to use. He's yet to have one complaint about it.

9. The two tuners I've been the happiest with are the Boss TU-2 and the Boss TU-12. I've had the TU-2 for about 5 years or so and I've had my TU-12 for around 10 years or so.