Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner options

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Obsdian, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Here's the deal: I just got my first fretless bass and I'm looking for a new tuner to help me out with intonation. I do have a tuner as it is, but it's not doesn't fit my needs. I need one that (1) Is chromatic. (2) Handles the range of a 6-string bass (3) Has an adapter (4) Has the auto tune capability i.e. I can play a note, it will tell me what it is or how far off I am. Please help, I don't know much about tuners and am not sure what brands to look for. Thanks!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, I'm on the exact same quest. Today I went to town to buy a Korg DTR-1000, but was truth to tell disappointed by its performance, so I didn't buy it. It felt slower in tracking than I expected. So far the best one I have found is my old Boss TU-2 tuner. The pedal format is however a bit inconvenient, and I'd like a bigger display, so I'd also like to hear anyone suggest a good tuner for this purpose.

3. Was there anything else that didn't satisfy you with the Korg?

4. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No, not really. I think it's a very good tuner, and I really wanted to buy it. Perhaps there is a tradeoff between a stable display and a quick reaction, it just felt on the sluggish side to me. But I like it as a tuner, perhaps not as an intonation trainer though.

Someone step in and give your opinions on alternatives like Sabine, please ?

5. On a quick note, do you have any suggestions as an intonation trainer?

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No, not at the moment, my best bet so far is the Boss TU-2 as I find it to be the quickest yet, but I'd rather have something with a bigger display, and not in the pedal format.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Try the Sabine RT-7000 or 7100. It has a strobe mode which is quite fast and very accurate.

8. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    sabine 7100 all the way, best i have ever used. you can see the thing from like a mile away.

9. I've been looking into the Sabine tuners and they look like a solid option. However, I check out the bass gear review archive and there was a negative review, check it out at www.bgra.net Have either of you had any problems with your tuner?

10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Never had that problem. The review doesn't mention the model. They rackmount models before the 7000 and 7100.

11. I have the boss tu-2 and have mixed opinions about it... it tunes very quickly and handles very low notes with ease... it also has a mute feature, strobe tuner, can power other boss pedals, and looks pretty cool. The downside is that its a bit difficult at first to tell whether the little sharp light is on which can really screw up a gig (trust me)... if you thought it looked bad having to tune by ear infront of a lot of people, imagine whats its like screwing up your tuning when you HAVE a tuner!