Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuner posts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by permagrin, Jan 5, 2005.

1. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Hey all,

Last night i was playing with a g**tar buddy. I had my Johnson resonator ABG, and the 'a' string on this one goes flat after playing a little while, as it has since I've owned it. I've tightened the little screw but really I attribute this flaw to the fact that the string is cut fairly short, goes around the post maybe twice, and when I get off my lazy a$$ and change strings the problem should go away.

Anyway, he says to me "did you lock the string?" to which I say "Huh?" He proceeds to take the string off and put it back on with the string overlapping itself the post. "All wrong," I tell him, "you wind the string from top to bottom on the post," to which he replies "why?" and I offer that that maximizes the break over the nut, besides my feeble "because that's how it's done." Damn string proceeded to stay in tune all night. What's the deal?

2. i always thought overlapping hte string like that was askin for it to break

3. I always overlap the first wind (which is always silk) with the second wind. From there, I go top/down for another 2 or 3 winds. I can't remember the last time I had string slippage.

4. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    If you do it properly with 3 to 4 winds as you described is your regular approach, and the loops are snugg against each other, it creates friction which limits the strings movement around the post. Crossing one loop over another also creates friction and may stop movement but puts severe pressure at the point of overlap.
    Finally, you are also right that you want the maximum downward force on the nut caused by the string being down the post as far as possible.
    The answer as you rightly point out is to change the damn sting.

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    thanks y'all! -jeff