Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner Probem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 15, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I recently tuned up, EADGC.

When i re-strung my bass with these strings, i accentitally cut the D-string too short, but it just reaches the D-tuner, and makes it around about 3/4 of a turn.

Anyway i was tuning my D string to a G and it popped, made a sound like it had broken, but it hadnt, the end of the string had just come off the turn peg at the top.

Now i try and turn the peg and the part doesnt move. i put the string into the turning part, and the part doesnt rotate. i pull the turning part out anbd turn it and nothing happens.

Can anyone help me?! Im in serious need because i have band prac sunday!

2. Erm perhaps try undoing the screw on the back of the tuner. Also undo the nut that holds it to the front of the head stock.

This will remove it. then once its away from the bass we can find out whats wrong with it! Under some bright light! hehee

Inspect it closely, you may have burred some teeth on the tuning cog, you may have slipped the gear. Who knows.. If you can get the tuner to move and rotate okay off the headstock then it should be good one the bass.

ORRRR take it to someone. ;) Its not too involved tho.

:D:D

Merls

3. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Too late

Im just going to take it to the repair man. Thanks anyway bud ;)

4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Problemo Solved.

Broken turning peg. Ashton have dodgey tuning pegs, and it snapped whilst it was going up. The repairman put on a chrome one until he can order in better stronger ones. Its looks cool at the moment, because i have 4 black pegs and one chrome. Yep..im hardcore :cool:

5. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  6. Well.... how could this be avoided boys and girls?

DONT CUT YOUR STRINGS TOO SHORT!!!

ahem back to sing and play along

:D:D

Merls

7. Don't do that. Buy a high C string, about .30 and use that as the high C. A tuning peg is the least of your problems if all your strings are a fourth too high. Fixing a warped neck is a lot more expensive than some new tuners.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Very sound advice!

Pkr2

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If I am reading your post correctly (and looking at the photo), I am thinking that you just said you tuned a fiver strung B-E-A-D-G to E-A-D-G-C.

I don't know if you realize it, but have applied about 50 percent more tension to the neck than it was designed to handle.

Good look.

Chas

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Oh yeah, i realise what i had done. :rolleyes: and i feel like a knob.

The look on the repair mans face after i told him what i had done said it all. I felt like a fool, and i still do. he told me if i wanted to do that get thinner gauge strings and to take the b string off and get a c string.

One more lesson i have learnt!