1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner problem with new SX Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slaerts, Sep 13, 2008.

1. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I was just putting new strings on my 5 string sx jazz bass and the A string tuner slipped. I thought it may have been the string slipping but it was the metal pole that the 'A' string wraps around. After a while I worked that much out. Each time it gets close to being in tune the pressure or string tension gets too much and it stops turning as I turn the tuner, then it slips and the string loosens.

It seems to me that something is stripped internally. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it repairable? If I have to replace it what will fit in without any more drilling that is reasonably inexpensive?

I was really looking forward to playing this in church tomorrow.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do a lock wrap...first wrap goes over, rest of the wraps go under.

3. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    +1
    Do this with all my six strings and never have a problem. Pretty much made locking tuners obsolete when I discovered this.

4. what is over and under ?

5. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Sounds like you are suggesting I do what I visualise as a 'figure 8' style wrap to stop the string slipping but the string is not slippping it is the metal pole that the string wraps around that slips from its internal mechanics that is slipping. I've been changing bass stirngs for almost 20 years, these strings are not slipping. I've never had this happen beofre on a bass.

6. You could try tightening the screw in the middle of the cog on the back of the headstock. Maybe some Loc-tite or something similar will hold it snug?

7. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks I just tried that. I thought it worked as I almost had it in tune but tightenting it just made it wait a bit longer till it slipped. I put the screw driver in the pole that the string wraps around and the pole bit turned easily while the tuning peg stayed still. I suspect something is stripped. Looks like a new set of tuners.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Theres not much to a tuner so i would think its done and needs replaced. Check with Rondo their CS is good they might send you one for free who knows. IMO this was one of the weak points on both of my SX basses i had .The tuners were the worse of any basses i have ever owned.One on the jazz i had would bind up then kinda pop and then be free for a while then do it again...nothing could fix it. Try aftermarket tuners instead.