Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ob1, Jan 17, 2003.

1. I have a problem with a Framus Jazz Bass. One of the tuner bushings was missing when I got it (used, for free). The tuners look like fender tuners, but the mounting holes are 13 mm in diameter, not 17.5 as "normal" holes are. I've been trying to find tuners that would fit (nearest match was Schaller M4 (12mm)), but haven't found anything. Should I enlarge the holes to fit Gotoh GB-7's, or should I order a custom made bushing?

2. If the Gotoh tuners cost less than what the bass will be worth, I'd go with them.

Let's say the investment in the tuners and labor is more than what the bass is worth, then I'd monkey-rig it.

b

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just in case you don't know yet, Framus was founded by the father of Warwick's founder.

Some Framus instruments have a high vintage resale value. I wouldn't mess with hem too much. Contact Warwick, they may be able to help you.

4. Yeah...this one though, wouldn't be worth much... The finish has cracked, and fallen off in some places, the frets have been canged 10 yrs ago, and it's full of dings. It plays surprisingly well, the neck is somewhat straight and the electronics work (but fuzz a lot).. Anyhow I found a guy who has some bushings that should fit (I'll replace all four),
    at vintage-guitars.se