1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tuner problems

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mclaud, May 15, 2001.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    hi!
    i've recently bought a tuner from boss (tu-2) and when i get home i tested it with other one, this one from my computer, the audio phonics guitar tuner, and i've noticed that there is a gap, aproximately from 2% to 4%. i'de like to know your opinion about these two products...

tanks.

2. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    A gap? You mean a discrepancy between the two of a few cents?

3. Are you certain they are both set to 440 hertz?

elgecko likes this.
  4. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    It sounds like a non issue. 4 cents is totally inaudible.

5. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I wonder if the guy from 17 years ago ever got his guitar in tune.

6. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    He’s still trying.

Bodeanly likes this.
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Last seen testing to see if computer tuner is 440. Some say they’ve heard his cries in between the discrepancies...

B7EE144A-70C9-4ABB-AD02-1E2DDA242567.

MoeTown1986 and saabfender like this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    in all seriousness, the guy might have just been discovering the very wide "in-tune" window of the TU2 by comparing it to a more precise tuner; it'll show notes up to 3 cents sharp or 3 cents flat as being in tune. this was a deliberate design choice to speed up stage tuning between songs, a couple cents difference is usually "close enough".

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Uh, no it isn't. You and my former duo partner hear alike.

Garret Graves likes this.
  10. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    It's not even possible to tune a stringed instrument to within 4 cents of a particular pitch because the pitch of the string oscillates as the note decays and changes depending on how hard you pluck it. You would see this happen if you ever tried to tune a bass or guitar. If you think you can hear that your instrument is 4 cents out of tune then you're probably always annoyed whenever hear a stringed instrument because the absolute best you can hope to do is to be about 10 cents +/- at any particular moment.

Besides that, the frets up and down the neck are going to be much more than 4 cents out of tune from whatever their supposed to be based on the open pitch, even if your instrument is perfectly intonated, because that's just one of the limitations of most fretted instruments.

You can change the pitch of your note more than 4 cents just by pressing harder when you fret it.

4 cents on a fretted stringed instrument is totally inconsequential because of the limitations of the instrument. And unless you have superhuman hearing you won't notice that every single guitar or bass you have ever heard has always been more than 4 cents out of tune with everything else in the mix and with itself because they always are by design.