1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbybass85, Mar 21, 2006.

1. So i'm trying to decide which will be better for my live playing, a rack mount tuner or a pedal tuner. I've got the space in my rack for one but i don't have much experience with them. I want something that i can use to tune down half steps and will mute while tuning. I've been looking at like the Korg DTR 1000 or 2000 rackmounts or the Korg DT-10 foot pedal. Any opinions?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm a fan of the Peterson Strobostomp for muting while tuning.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I believe that all those Korg, the Boss TU-2, both (current) Sabine rackmounts and the Peterson will all mute and are all chromatic. The only question you really have to ask yourself is how much you want to spend and how accurate you want the tuning to be. The Peterson is the most accurate of them all, but some question whether you really need a tuner that accurate or not. I myself have the Boss TU-2 and I used to use a Sabine RT-7000(rackmount, I'm switching to all pedals now) and I think they're both fine. YMMV Just check them all out and decide which one best fits your needs and your budget.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I have a TU-2 and even when the light is one red(out of tune) either side of green(in tune) its not going to sound out of tune. I don't think that you need huge accuracy in a tuner. So I wouldn't go nuts spending money on one. But I find the TU-2 ideal for what Im doing. So I reccommend it.
    I saw a guy using a korg rackmount tuner to down tune as part of a song. So maybe the tracking as well as accuracy might be a bit better on the more expensive units I don't know. At the end of the day I've never heard anyone complain of a tuner not being able to get there instrument in tune accurately (even €15 ones)

5. I like the Strobostomp too. I think the price is justified cuz....

* The accuracy is high enough to do good intonation adjustments.

* It's fast.

* The traditional spinning drum visual is the most intuitive IMO.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I just picked up a Korg DTR-1000. Its VERY nice to be able to tune w/o having look down & squint at some insufficiently sized/lit meter.

You can usually find them on the bay for around $100. IMHO, if you have 1 rack slot... ya go for it.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    TU-2 works great for me - chromatic and mutes

That said, I have a gaping hole in my rack that just might get filled up by a Korg unit. Not that I need it, but GAS is never about need...

8. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I have a Korg DTR-1000 in my rack and this works just fine. I prefer having everything in the rack and all the stuff connected with the cables. That way I just have to open the rack, plug in my bass and am to go - without having an extra tuner to connect.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    +1...I have a chromatic tuner built in to my BOSS VF-1 multi effects box and everything is in a rolling rack. I just plug in my power conditioner, turn it on, and I'm ready to go.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have done an intonation set up on my basses with a TU-2. I have then checked it with the very expensive strobe tuner at the store. I made no changes. I'm not sure why the TU-2 accuracy is always questioned. Maybe I have a really good one. :meh:

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Exactly... Plus, if you prefer a chromatic tuner... the DTR1000 can display chromatically, if preferred.

12. I went gaga over my DT-10, if only because my feet are like bulls in a china shop and it can stand up to them.

The accuracy and additional features also helped. :D

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    It's probably the same quality level as the one I have, it's just that people look at 1 cent (strobe) vs. 3 cents and think "OMFG it's so inacurate!!!!!", when for most people it's fine...

Edit: another way to look at the 3 cent accuracy is: +/- 1 cent (as far as I know...)

14. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    I agree with that one... I have a Korg DTR-1000 as well and it's pretty much got everything in there that you would need. The DTR 2000 just has a few more bells and whistles on it, but it's tuning quality is the same as the 1000...I find it better as well to have that kind of thing in a rack set up. It's one less stomp box to have to deal with and send your signal through.

15. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It's preference really. I just went from the DTR1000 to the BOSS TU-2 for schematics and it works just as good as the DTR1000 and it's less expensive. Not to mention I can power some of my pedals off of it and it helps when you have a lot of pedals.

Personal Preference.

16. Just to clarify, I made no mention of the TU-2 or its accuracy in my post. I used one before I got the Strobo. I thought its accuracy was good enough. The little light display did'nt thrill me, nor did the TU-2 seem particularly quick to me either.

That said, the fact is that the Strobo simply is more accurate than the Boss. Weather that little bit more means anything to the user is, well....up to the user.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Agreed.

I mentioned the TU-2 specifically as it regularly - and I think unfairly - gets bashed.

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If I had 200 to blow on a strobo tuner I would, but I would rather use that cash for other fun stuff. I don't think people in the crowd at a live show are going to notice if your off by a hair.