Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner suggestion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blong1, Nov 12, 2002.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    i recently purchased a boss TU2 tuner but i don't think it is going to help me much. reason being is that in my band, we play everything dropped 1/2 step. and some of the songs are in standard drop d. so for my band, i actually tune d flat (1/2 step down then drop d). my problem is that the tuner only tunes 2 half steps down (down to d).
    here is the question...i need a tuner (prefer a pedal tuner) that will tune another half step down so i don't have to pull out the little hand held tuner, unplug from my amp, plug it in to my bass, tune, unplug from my bass, plug back into amp...then repeat the process when i go back to our regular tuning (which as i mentioned is 1/2 step down). can anyone throw out some suggestions for a tuner? thanks in advance.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sabine RT-7000 and RT-7100 both have this feature too.

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Do you drop tune every string? Or just the low one? If it's just the low string, get the Hipshot bass extender key. Flip the lever, dropped drop d, flip again, drop d. Or the Korg DTR 1000 is my new fav. toy...

4. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    yeah, i thought about the hipshot d-tuner but i really don't want to do any mods to my bass. i really would just like to return my boss tuner (anyone know about musiciansfriend's return policy?) and get one that fits my needs.

5. So, you tune down a half step:

Eb Ab Db Gb

Then drop D it:

Db Ab Db Gb or C# G# C# F#

OK, want a FREE solution? Tune down a half step to Eb Ab Db Gb. Your top string now looks like this:

Eb|E|F|Gb|G|Ab|A|Bb|B|C|Db|D|Eb

And you need to make it look like this:

Db|D|Eb|E|F|Gb|G|Ab|A|Bb|B|C|Db

So, you need to lower the pitch of your open top string by a whole step, or 2 frets on your bass. So, downtune the top string until fret 2 reads as Eb on your TU-2. Bingo, you are now tuned:

Gb|
    Db|
    Ab|
    Db|

Just like Pantera on a few songs.

:D

6. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    i didn't think about it that way. but you are absolutely right. that would be the simplist solution to the problem, huh? thanks a mil...