1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tuner upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ryrich22, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ryrich22

ryrich22

Nov 23, 2012
    I have a gsr200. I am very happy with it and do not want to sink a lot into a $200.00 bass. I would like to upgrade the tuners, however. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what "upgrade"? the keys are perfectly good sealed die-cast machines. no reason at all to change them.

if you're having tuning issues, that's not the keys at all; it's about the setup, like how the nut is filed and how the action is adjusted.

3. ryrich22

ryrich22

Nov 23, 2012
    It was set-up. Action, etc. seem fine. I agree, until recently I thought the tuners were fine. They seem to be losing their "grip". Turning but not moving the string, catching and then going sharp or flat with slight turns. Very evident with the last set of strings I put on. I don't know. They use to tune well and easily, now it is more time consuming.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    so you turn the key, nothing happens, then the pitch kind of "jumps"?

that usually means the strings are too tight in the nut slots.

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. Take it to a tech and tell him the strings are binding in the nut slots. He'll know what to do.

6. ryrich22

ryrich22

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks, I did not think about the nut. My next ? was, is there anything I can do? Can the nut be lubed? The new strings are the same gauge as the old ones, if that matters. What will a tech charge? I will assume less than new tuners which were probably not the problem in the first place. Thanks again. Not pertinent but snowing like crazy in Mass. Again!!!! P.S., how much for a new nut?

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The cheapest route (for me...free) would be to clean up the nut slots via nut files, emery cloth, etc. You can lube a nut slot with a conventional graphite pencil. If the nut is truly overcut or beyond redemption, a replacement may be in order. walterw has installed more than a couple for me and the cost was very reasonable. Walter?

Riis

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

One thing after you get the nut attended to: when tuning ALWAYS drop flat of the note and tune UP to pitch. ALWAYS. Even The cheapest tuners in the world will work flawlessly if you do this. They may strip a gear someday but until then, they will work flawlessly if you tune UP TO PITCH.

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've had to replace sealed tuners on a bass before. Just as described, the tuners slipped and didn't tune well. I replaced them with Gotoh GB7s and guess what? Zero problems since then :)

Never underestimate the low quality of mass-produced metal parts from China.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    To the OP: if push comes to shove, I have a set of chrome Ping tuners off a Dingwall Combustion 5 (2 + 3) I'll let you have on the cheap. Not top-shelf but certainly respectable. They have the same footprint as the Gotoh GB7 and worked well for me 'til I upgraded to Hipshots.

Riis