Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner ? Whats preferred? Digital or

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superfly, Nov 4, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    :confused: What is better or preferred? A tuner with a lcd, digital display, or a tuner with a physical needle indicater that moves?
    I am thinking of getting the TU-2.

2. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    If you can afford it, get the Strobostomp. If you can't afford it, save up for it—I have 3 other good tuners, but the strobostomp is so much faster and more accurate. It's really not an accessory.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The Strobostomp is an excellent tuner. However, many people including myself will tell you that the TU-2 does the job well. Hands down, the Peterson Strobostomp is a better tuner, but if you are looking for something to toss in your bag to take to gigs, then the TU-2 is the pedal for the job.

My reasoning is this. People have been using TU-2 tuners for gigging for years now with good results. The TU-2 is less expensive and thus easier to replace if stolen, lost or somehow damaged. The TU-2 is built tough. It is made to survive harsh treatment.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm very happy with my (now-discontinued) Peterson VS-1. If I were buying new today, I'd go for a Strobostomp. I'm pretty picky about tuners.

But Bob has a point. I use the same tuner on stage that I use for setting the intonation on all my instruments. It's probably not necessary to be gnat's-arse accurate on stage.

I will offer one negative experience: I had a Korg DTR-1 and I hated it. The slow response, the "almost accurate enough" tuning, the size... yecch. That's what drove me to the Peterson camp.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    what i have been working on lately is just using my metronome "A" to tune your A harmonic on the D string, then tune the other strings to it. yeah it's a pain in the arse, but it has been working for me.

buuuuuut, i do have a Boss pedal tuner (maybe TU-2), while it's OK, i would really like to move to the Peterson camp as well, you just can't go wrong with those.

6. Boss TU-2 or TU-12. I've had my 12 for around 10 years. The 2 has been with me around 4. They're both quick and as accurate as you practically need to be. If the tuner is too accurate you're going to spend more time "chasing the bubble" to be 'that accurate' and NO ONE will know the difference.

I did some recording at a studio that has done a lot of big name records. Their tuner they "encourage" people to use...

A Sabine ST-1100.

FWIW

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    well when i'm on stage i use the Boss TU-2. nice little tuner that i can quickly use to tune up between songs. i don't have much experience with different tuners but the boss seems to get the job done excellently.

-jimbo