Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumblejohn, Aug 29, 2003.

1. I just put my new amp (WT550) into a 6 space rack case. I thought that I would add a tuner and power conditioner, can anyone recommend some brands? Korg DTR1000 comes to mind, but there maybe something better that I don't know about.

Thanks John

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think you'll find that Korg is overwhemingly the tuner of choice (DTR models). At least that's what I found when researching this. I ended up just buying another handheld though...

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
  4. Schwinn, thanks a lot. That is pretty much what I'm looking for.

John

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Keep an eye out, I nabbed my DTR-2 for $50 shipped a while ago. But I will say, Korg DTR's are the way to go.

6. I like the new DTR1000 & 2000 better than the previous DTR-1 & 2. Snappier, more definitive response.

I really don't like the older black DT Pro ones.

The Furman PL-Tuner won't tune a low B, BTW.

Aloha,

Jonathan

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I use a Boss TU2 Pedal tuner. Saves a rack space, and I dont have to turn around and show my tuckus fascias to the audience when I tune up. ;)

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a Korg DTR-1 and it works great.

9. Exactly!! I use the TU-2 for the same reason. It's an excellent tuner, and also, works well as a convenient mute switch. We live in quite a variable climate with temperature and humidity extremes, making for a need to re-check tuning after transporting from one environment to another. For that reason, I rarely worry about retuning until after the bass has had a chance to stabilze. Meaning, I may want to re-check tuning during practice, or during a function. During a pause (someone speaking or whatever), I can mute, then, discreetly and silently, check tuning without having to turn around or create any distaction at all. Perhaps others can do this as well, but the TU-2 does a fine job for me.

10. Same situation over here: silent tuning. Plus the TU-2 powers my other footpedals. I like them racktuners though, but I'm not very keen on the idea of changing my light 2U rack where my SVT-3 sits in, for a bigger, 3 or 4 unit rack... I like it compact (I move my head for every rehearsal).

11. The Korg tuner is pretty much the best one on the market.

I have had one for several years now

It now lives in my backup / rehearsal rack.
    It was on my main rig until I got a Boss VF1 effects unit. I now use the built in tuner in the Boss rack unit but it is not as accurate as the Korg, but it does the job.

The problem with the smaller displays such as the Boff VF1 or footpedels is that you have a much smaller number of lit display bars for the tuner to move in...with the Korg being so much bigger (a full rack space width) it means that much smaller discrepancies are highlighted, and a smoother response is shown by the larger display bars

If you have the room in your rack and dont mind a bit of extra weight get the Korg..most importantly...It looks damn cool during a gig!!

Dave

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Boss TU-2 pedal, for all the reasons already mentioned!

I sometimes check my tuning between every song (like the last really cold and damp gig I played), and that would not be very cool if I had to turn my back on the audience each time.