Tuners For 16mm Holes?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bryan gibson, Sep 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sorry in advance if this has been covered, but I didn't see a similar thread already in existence. Anyhoo, I just bought a used Warmoth neck (smokin' deal....) and just found out that the tuner holes are 16mm instead of 11/16. So......Ultralight's are way out of my current budget, so what are my options? Is there a generic alternative that will fit a 16mm hole, or do I just need to have 'em drilled out another 1.5mm? I really dig the neck, and the price was right, so I'd like to keep it. Thanks all :)

2. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    USA ultralights have the bigger 17mm hole, whereas the licensed ones will fit into the 16mm opening.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    There are 2 version of USA Ultralights: 1/2" post which fits 11/16" (18mm) peghead holes and 3/8" post which fits 9/16" (14mm) peghead holes. If they are out if your budget, then you can opt for the licensed version of the Ultralight which also fits 14mm peghead holes. And there are lots of other tuners, among other Gotoh and Wilkinson, which also fit 14mm peghead holes.

Of course these tuners that fit 14mm peghead holes can be used in 16mm holes.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Gotoh Resolite GB528 style has a 16mm bushing. GB528S | G-GOTOH Ltd.

If you reamed the holes to 11/16 (about 17.5mm) you could fit a number of aftermarket tuners (Hipshot HB, Gotoh GB640, etc.). Bass Parts Resource: Tuner Parts

Or you could try ultralight tuners (Hipshot HB6 or Gotoh GB7) which have 9/16 (14.3mm) bushings and wrap them in foil tape so they fit snugly.

5. I've got several sets of "standard" 11/16" F-clones, and one set of 14mm from an old Electra-Westone. I did a quick ebay search and didn't see any 16mm under $75-ish, so I'll probably just have the current holes drilled out.

6. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    If you're OK with black finish, I have a set I cal offer up for about half of that ebay price you noted above. Send me a PM if you like.

7. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
  8. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    bryan gibson likes this.
  9. ...sooo....new tuners made it in (Thanks Marko, you're a stand-up dude :) ), already had the neck bolted on, nut filed down, everything ready to go and.....

.... THE WHOLE EFFIN' FINGERBOARD POPPED OFF THE NECK!!!!!!!!!
    What?!
    Seriously?
    Yup.

"New" never drilled or mounted neck, bought used off Evilbay because some idiot tried to do a faux-aged finish and didn't like the looks of it. Not sure what this dude had done, but it appeared that the fingerboard had been removed and then reglued with one thin strip of Elmer's wood glue. Board split during the "explosion" and the trussrod (which had been completely loose) also popped out. Needless to say, I ain't gonna repair it.

Last neck I got thru Ebay was also junk, bowed beyond use and trussrod maxed out. Needless to say, I'm done with Ebay, period. And back to the drawing board on the Fretless Jazz project. At least I have some spiffy new tuners and string tree.

10. pics or it didn't happen.

11. Already in the trash bin, sorry...

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021