1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuners for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bgbassbabe, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bgbassbabe

bgbassbabe

Aug 7, 2007
    Can anyone tell me the name of a good tuner for my upright bass. I need it to attach to my bass, preferably on the bridge) so I can use it on stage or in a jam easily.

2. the intellitouch is a sweet tuner, but mine has a weird rattle sometimes - not good, for something mounted on the bridge. in the sturm und drang of a too loud stage, it can also be hard to read sometimes. i love the korg pedal tuner. it just plain works. that said, i hate hauling pedals around, so .... back to the intellitouch!

jeff.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The Meisel as sold by (All Hail) Bob Gollihur is a much better choice as a clip-on-your-bridge and forget it tuner. Bright display, very light and you can drop it without breaking it, unlike the PT-1.

http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/korgtuner.html

Its acceptably accurate for stage and dark jam use, although when I have the choice I'll just tune one string to it and do the rest by ear.

4. I have to say the Intellitouch is a POS. I have the cheaper one and it is 99% useless. In an acoustic group I play with, EVERYONE uses them, and they are all out of tune all the time.

I think the problem is that they are just not precise enough. Mine is totally screwy and has never once correctly guessed what note I was trying to play. I know it's better with some instruments than others, but I really don't think it's very good with ANY instrument.

I have been looking at the Meisel in the post above... it looks much better, with a more precise needle (albeit digital) and the green backlight. Love to hear from anyone who's tried that one on a bass bridge, or any instrument for that matter.

5. bluegrasscat

bluegrasscat

Aug 9, 2006
    SoCal
    as mingusamongus said... go with the green meisel which Bob Golliher sales.. i have used the white intelli and the black intelli . sometimes they just dont pick up certain strings! like D! A G E !! not all the time, just sometimes. and half the time i have to tune half down to match everyone, intelli is just ok!! ( i do know if your intelli messes up, which mine did, keep the box and send it in and they replaced it no questions!!! (super plus).. But now the meisel.. i dont even bring my intelli to jams now cause my buddies have the meisel. it is so easy to use, and seems to be alot more accurate than intelli... but that is me... plus it "HAS A MUCH BETTER CLAMP!!! it's smaller, with big screen.. lol and clamps to bridges/head stocks e.c.t!!!! intellis clamp is kindof lame.. it works but is sometimes a hassle! and it gets wobbly.. .. dont waste the dough.. go meisel.. plus the green backlight is rad:rolleyes:

6. davpal

davpal

May 19, 2006
    Lambertville, NJ
    I have the Meisel for my upright and it works just fine. I usually have to hit the harmonic (octave up from the open string) on the E and sometimes A. The light is a big help too. I find it's accurate enough but I usually get it that last bit closer by ear.

7. bgbassbabe

bgbassbabe

Aug 7, 2007
    I bought a Meisel and it works great! Thanks for all your comments.