Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuners: important or not important

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCT, Jul 11, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I know that the tuners are important, but what I'm talking about is the they're arranged. For example I don't like the 3:1 configuration on Stingrays, but the 4:1 kills me. I love it. Has this ever been a deciding point when you're looking into a bass?

2. Not really for me, but i prefer the 3:2 or 3:3 setup i have on my EDA and BTB, this makes the headstock smaller and look cooler :p

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If I have a choice of 4+1 or 3+2, I'll take the better looking of the two. If I don't have a choice, I'll take which is avaiable.

Not a deciding factor for me.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I used to height 4-inline tuners with a passion, and in my early days I passed up basses because of it. Now I actually like it. I got used to it on the G&L I had and even though I've had my Cirrus for a few months now I'm still not 100% used to reaching on the other side of the headstock to tune the treble strings.

Aesthetically I like inline tuners only depending on what the headstock shape looks like. I like G&L and Jack Read's Model J headstocks are great. But still my all time favorite headstock and tuner arrangement is something more squarish where the tuners line up square like on a Ken Smith, Zon, or a Pedulla.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I really don't like 3+1 at all, but i'd still get it if I liked all the other aspects. 4 is fine with me, but i'm not a very big guy and getting the G is kinda hard. :p

I link 2+2 and 3+3 looks really clean and neat and classy. :cool:

6. I love two up, two down. Plus to me, it's easier to use the pegs. You're not like, straining your neck to see what you're twiddling.

Fenders are the exceptions here... I love that head.

7. Personally it doesn't really matter but I prefer to have 2+3 or 3+3 if I have a say so over it. I guess it's from paying guitar and I hated the heavy metal glam guitars with all 6 tuners in a row. I always thought the 3+3 looked classy and I guess it rolled over onto basses. My stambaugh I ordered has 2+3 on it.

8. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Oh it really doesn't matter! Got Long Arms? Get 4 in a row. Short arms? 3+2, 3+3 etc...

9. 2, 2 with a crown head

I am a sucker for that

10. As long as it stays in tune...

11. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Aesthetically I think 4:1 on a five string is gorgeous. When I first saw it I was obsessed. I can't get over it. :eyebrow: