1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuners: important or not important

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCT, Jul 11, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I know that the tuners are important, but what I'm talking about is the they're arranged. For example I don't like the 3:1 configuration on Stingrays, but the 4:1 kills me. I love it. Has this ever been a deciding point when you're looking into a bass?

2. Not really for me, but i prefer the 3:2 or 3:3 setup i have on my EDA and BTB, this makes the headstock smaller and look cooler :p

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If I have a choice of 4+1 or 3+2, I'll take the better looking of the two. If I don't have a choice, I'll take which is avaiable.

Not a deciding factor for me.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I used to height 4-inline tuners with a passion, and in my early days I passed up basses because of it. Now I actually like it. I got used to it on the G&L I had and even though I've had my Cirrus for a few months now I'm still not 100% used to reaching on the other side of the headstock to tune the treble strings.

Aesthetically I like inline tuners only depending on what the headstock shape looks like. I like G&L and Jack Read's Model J headstocks are great. But still my all time favorite headstock and tuner arrangement is something more squarish where the tuners line up square like on a Ken Smith, Zon, or a Pedulla.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I really don't like 3+1 at all, but i'd still get it if I liked all the other aspects. 4 is fine with me, but i'm not a very big guy and getting the G is kinda hard. :p

I link 2+2 and 3+3 looks really clean and neat and classy. :cool:

6. I love two up, two down. Plus to me, it's easier to use the pegs. You're not like, straining your neck to see what you're twiddling.

Fenders are the exceptions here... I love that head.

7. Personally it doesn't really matter but I prefer to have 2+3 or 3+3 if I have a say so over it. I guess it's from paying guitar and I hated the heavy metal glam guitars with all 6 tuners in a row. I always thought the 3+3 looked classy and I guess it rolled over onto basses. My stambaugh I ordered has 2+3 on it.

8. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Oh it really doesn't matter! Got Long Arms? Get 4 in a row. Short arms? 3+2, 3+3 etc...

9. 2, 2 with a crown head

I am a sucker for that

10. As long as it stays in tune...

11. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Aesthetically I think 4:1 on a five string is gorgeous. When I first saw it I was obsessed. I can't get over it. :eyebrow: