Tuners rack or otherwise ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 4Mal, Aug 22, 2005.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have two a Korg GA20 which is cheap and effective but doesn't tune to flat keys. I'm tuning to e flat a lot these days so that isn't real helpful. I also have a DTR-2 that is rackable. That is a plus for me. It also doesn't tune to flat's - or maybe it does.. there is a 'Calibrate' button on there. If I tune to e flat using my guitarists Sabine floor box,. Can I calibrate the Korg to E flat by pressing the button ? Will it remember that E = E flat when I disconnect the power or do I need to recalibrate each time ?

What other tuners are out there that allow tuning to flat keys ? Ideally they would be jnot overly sensitive. The DTR-2 seems to hunt for notes a bit. I assume they've gotten better over the years.

Rackable is a plus as well although a pedal type might work in a pinch.
    Thanks, Mal
  2. try tuning to D# , much better than Eb any day :spit:

i dont know, im just really bored :(
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The DTR-2 is chromatic only, it's my weapon of choice.

You can use a TU-2 which alters tuning based on settings, as does the silver Korg handheld.

However, tuners threads go to misc.
  4. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    My Sabine RT 7000 does, I would imagine that your Korg does at least sharp tunings..if not that's weird. I was wanting to get a korg because I liked the look of it better, but maybe I shouldn't get one.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Korgs do. It does every note and tells you what it is, has a light next to it for sharps. That's what it means to be chromatic. Otherwise you'd only be able to tune to the key of C.
  6. Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    the GA-20 tunes only to E A D G B E (standard guitar open notes). the GA-30 is the same, except it will do up to four or five flats (basically chromatic). the CA-30 is really chromatic, will tune to C and not just Bb, Dbb, etc.

you can get the GA-30 for $15ish, sounds like that's what you need, unless you want a rackmount
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The Boss TU2 is the best tuner out there for my needs.....
  8. Amen to that. :D
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Will the TU-2 do a real E flat ? How about one of the Sabine Rack mounts ?

The GA-30 will do EADGBE. The 'flat' button will allow you to flatten one of those notes between 1 and 5 semi tones. The sharp and flat lights on the GA-30 are there for stage use to tell you that you are sharp or flat of the standard notes. Not to tell you that you have tuned to E flat or F#.

The DTR-2 does the same EADGBE and measures between -50 and +50 cents off the note.
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree. My DTR-2 will let me tune in any key I wish.