1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuners that don't use screws to mount

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CnB77, Jan 17, 2012.

1. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a search that yields results, so I'm posting here. According to the Carvin customer service rep I talked to, their bass tuners don't use screws to mount to the headstock, but a nut tightens down from the post to secure it. I would like a set, but the $10 shipping kind of puts me off. Are there other brands that offer similar tuners at a comparable price but have cheap/free shipping?

2. Hi.

No screws?

Not even one?

Do You have a pic?

Back in the day, every once and a while I came across some enclosed guitar tuners that didn't have any screws to prevent them from rotating, but those were off from a real cheapos. The spikes that were supposed to bury themselves into the headstock didn't quite do their job.

If 1 screw is acceptable, then the 'net is filled with that kind of tuners.

Regards
    Sam

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    They used to use Sperzel locking tuners on their basses which have a guide pin that fit into a guide hole on the back of the headstock and was held in place by the usual nut on the front of the headstock.

You can kind of see it in this pic:

[​IMG]

4. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Here's the link: Carvin.com :: C4B
    Can't see a screw or pin in the picture, but the angles are limited.

The CSR said "the tuners tighten down from the nut on top"

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    That said, 1 screw is acceptable too, I just don't want to have to drill that many holes :D

6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    ahhh, that changes things. The vast majority of sealed tuners only use 1 screw.

[​IMG]

7. Hi.

Thanks for the pic and the information.

The ones I encountered, definitely weren't Sperzels, I'd say one could've bought a set of twelve of those POS's for the price of just one Sperzel tuner. I have to do some digging to see whether I tossed all of them.

Yeah, if one screw is acceptable the ones in the testing1two's link are probably more common than the classic open gear "Fender" style, just measure the diameter of the headstock hole, and choose an appropriate tuner.

Regards
    Sam

8. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Thanks for the help guys!

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

On top nut tightening tuners, screws through or pins on the base plate are anti-rotation devices. Screws are longer than pins and are the tightest fit in the wood so... IMHO, will be more durable over decades. It's no big deal to drill one hole per tuner, is it?

10. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Not at all. It does mean I'll have to enlist the help of someone with a drill press, but I'm sure I'll manage

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

A drill press isn't required for mounting screws, mark the bit depth with tape right on the bit using the screw as a gauge, mark your hole and drill until you hit the depth mark of tape on the bit. A hand drill at slow speed is all you need.

12. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    sorry, I goofed

13. HugoM

HugoM

Jul 3, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    The Hipshot Ultralite design must have been changed, as all of mine require one screw.

14. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    F-Clef you must be thinking about the Schaller light tuners.

[​IMG]

15. BigOkie

BigOkie

Nov 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Carvin's standard bass tuners DO use a single screw. They are a reasonable copy of Gotoh tuners. The picture in the catalog is not clear in the sets, but the single tuner pics show the screw. Maybe once-upon-a-time they used Sperzels on basses, but my LB75 is about eleven years old and the tuners have one screw and they're definitely not Sperzels The holes in the peg head are 9/16ths, which are too large for Sperzels.

Carvin does sell Sperzels for their guitars. . . . .

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I would never buy tuners that had neither a screw nor pin to secuire them from rotating. Just tightening the nut isnt good approach. To not use either would strike me a just cheap design.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My 90's koa Carvin came with Sperzel tuners and Wilkinson bridge. The standard Carvin offerings nowadays are pretty much re-branded Gotoh GB-7's. Once positioned and marked, I drill pilot holes with my Dremel and micro-bits. This is one situation where you don't want to be chintzy with the pilot hole diameter. "Anchor" screws are notorious for snapping off when over-torqued.

Riis

18. BigOkie

BigOkie

Nov 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    I would love to have Sperzels on my 2000 LB75; however, as I mentioned, the holes in the headstock are 9/16" and Sperzels need a 1/2. That would mean dowelling and re-drilling. Not worth it. As it stands I snapped the shaft off of one of their stock tuners the other night putting some new DR High Beams on. I am going with Schallers since they are a direct replacement and at least they're made of brass as opposed to the cast "pot metal" the stock Carvin tuners are made from.