1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tuners upgrade for Squier Mike Dirnt P?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by staurosjohn, Jul 20, 2012.

1. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Does anyone know of an 'exact fit' for Squier Mike Dirnt replacement tuners? Best I can tell- spacing is:

- across top holes: 17/32"
    - across bottom holes: 3/4"
    - top to bottom holes: 1-11/32"

I currently have a Fender American Special-P, Geddy Lee, Squier VM-P and a Squier CV-P... none of these are an 'exact fit'... before I brill new holes- I thought I would see if anyone knows of an exact fit!!

Thanks- John

2. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm not totally sure, but these may be a good match.
    http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=261

If they aren't, and You'd have to do some drilling. I would go with these(as I think lollipops look really cool on that style of headstock).:D
    http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=325

You will find that the Hipshot tuners are pretty pricey, but some decent deals can be found on'em via ebay. FWIW- They are a very nice tuning machine. IMO- most of the lower cost machines, wouldn't be much of an upgrade from what You already have.

3. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Thanks JMac...

I will check these out... I did a total refin/upgrade- (sonic blue, '62 p/u, stew-mac wiring and pots, barrel knobs, bridge cover, white pg)... I think quality tuners are warranted... That's all that's left!!

4. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome! I'd love to see some photos. I've had two Fender Dirnt basses and they were really nice.

5. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I don't seem to have a knack for photography... but heres what I have... it looks MUCH better in person!! The pics look like Lake Placid Blue... but is much 'softer'.

6. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I've been learning to work on guitars... put a Fender Telecaster waterslide on- temporarily... just dont want the 'waterslide police' raining down condemnation!!:rollno:

7. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Very nice work! I totally dig it.

Yea, the lollipop tuners would be a nice touch (IMO).