Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuners -who has what and why???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The reviews range from great to terrible from 20$ tuners to 300$ korgs. I need the truth damn it! I need a tuner that's 1) accurate 2) easy to see on stage 3) has a mute switch 4) did I mentio it has to be accurate? I'm used to using a tuning fork.

2. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Peterson Strobe tuners

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Korg DTR-1 meets all of your needs (and mine).:D

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I have a Sabine RT-1601. I've had it for about 4 yrs. now & has been trouble free. Paid about $140 for it new.
    Sabine does'nt make this model anymore, but you might be able to pick one up used.

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    as far as being easy to see on stage, i have an older model korg (black not silver) and it's awesome... it doesn't display the note you're tuning in huge LED's, but the newer DTR-1 does.

IMO you don't need to be able to see the note you're tuning to in large lights, because if you're tuning across a dark stage, you'd better be close enough to know which note each string is.

It has a mute function, but i don't like to add any unneeded noise to my chain, so i just run a signal to it, not out of it.

as far as accuracy, it claims to be +- 1/2 of a cent, i'm pretty sure

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Zoom 506. I've had it for about 4 years.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sabine RT-7000. Nice. Has strobe mode for intonating. Little hard to read the leds at first, then you get used to them.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That looks pretty good.

9. Boss TU-2.. nice compact and lightning fast.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    TU-2.
    Easy to read while playing. Fast. Floor pedal, so I don't have to stick my butt toward the audience when I check my tuning. I run it from the tuner out jack on my SVP-pro preamp rather than through my signal chain.

11. TU-2

Chromatic Strobe mode has the best feedback of any tuner I've seen/used. More affordable than the korg DTR's, and doesn't need a rack. Put it in your signal chain, and it's a mute. Plus you can't kill boss stuff IME.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, I'm going to trust you guys in the majority here and go with the TU-2.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No one wants to see my butt. :D

14. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The tuner on my Digitech BP200.

15. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    My tuner rocks! It's one of those $9 jobs, it's gray, it's not chromatic, and it uses 2AA batteries :D

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    After reading this thread we have ended up at the same spot, TU-2 or Korg DTR. Crazy. I think I'm gettind the pedal, but I just called a shop that has both so I'm going to go check them out.

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I can't hear it when my guitarist is hitting overdriven harmonics through his AC-30 for fifteen minutes. :D

I love the tuning fork, but it's not practical for gigs, sadly.

18. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I love my TU-2. It's the most accurate tuner I've ever owned. It even has a Bass Flat mode so I can tune Eb Ab Db Gb.

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Hit the tuning fork and put it over one of your pickups.

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I know, I should mention that the point of this thread is for a silent stage tuner. I have trust issues though, -I really feel paranoid about tuning w/o my ears!!!!