1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuners.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geri O, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Back in the good ol' days, the keyboardist would give me a G and I'd tune from there. No problems.

Now I'm using a Boss TU3 tuner pedal that everyone seems to be using. But it's taken a while to realize that it doesn't seem to be accurate below a certain pitch (I'm also a piano tuner). I tune the G string and it sounds fine with the keyboard. but the lower I play, the sharper it tunes the other open strings. I thought it was a badly-fit nut , I thought the guitarists were out (Jury's still out on that one...:roflmao:), I thought I was putting too much force on the bass with my right elbow (a habit I've since broken), and various other things.

Last Sunday, I was checking intonation and tuning with the Boss tuner. I was playing octaves and 5ths and NOTHING was lining up. So, I tuned just the G string and then used harmonics, octaves and 5ths (hey, kinda like the way I tune pianos, but without the 3rds and the 6ths). NOW the bass sounds in tune with itself and with the rest of the band. In fact, the improvement was startling. The lead worship Pastor and MD/keyboardist noticed the difference right away. I'm really ashamed it took so long to figure this out

While I'm naturally a big fan of tuning by ear, I'd like to use a tuner for the expediency and the convenience in noisy environments. Is there a known issue with the boss pedals and basses? I realize some tuners may not do well with the extended range of 5-string basses. I could check the tuning against the Boss pedal and make note of the offsets, but that little rascal would be hard to read with my 56-year-old eyes. I could always use the iPad that I tune pianos with sometimes and use its tuning-store feature, but that would be a little complicated and untidy, although not out of the question.

And if I hear that tuning the G to the pedal, then fuggettaboutit and tune the rest of the bass by ear really is the best way, so be it. And thanx for confirming my thoughts!

2. Best pedal tuner I've ever used is the Turbo Tuner. Super accurate, very quick, easy to interpret.

Pentatonic and born2lift like this.
  3. born2lift

born2lift

Feb 14, 2012
    Erie Michigan
    Same tuner I use. Accurate within .02 cents where the Peterson rack mount is accurate within .1 cents.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Polytune or Turbo Tuner for sure. Polytune has a much better display though.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    polytune is neat and all but it's got nothing on the turbo-tuner (speed or accuracy)

that said, the +/- 1 cent TU3 should be fine for real-world use; if you're finding that you can't tune to where the whole bass behaves, that's a problem with the bass, not the tuner.

a high nut will cause the first few frets to play sharp, for example, no matter how you adjust the saddles.

6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'm now using a Korg Pitchblack Pro, rack mounted.
    And I have a Pitchblack pedal on my board for muted tuning.
    Both work great. But once I'm tuned up at the beginning of the show it's usually solid as a rock for the rest of the night.

7. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I use a Korg also and its somewhat more accurate than whatever I used before (sorry - I can't remember what it was).

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I found quite the opposite to be true :)