Tuners

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Donald Wormuth, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Ok, I've been doing my own setups on my Instruments. And been having great results. Now I've been using a cheap clip-on and one that's built into my multi-effect pedal. I'm wondering since my intentions are once i finish guitar tech classes to branch out to doing it for others. I want to invest in a good quality tuner for doing this. I've been collecting old guitars and setting them up to various tunings. I've been told it's best to use a clip-on because it cuts out RF interference. So, my question is, is that accurate information? If not is there a decent quality tuner I should look in to. My plan is to get a multi-meter and stuff. I've already got an AS degree in computer and electronics engineering. Ive got good soldering equipment and stuff.

2. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    No and no.

1) I can’t think of any reason a clip on tuner is best for doing setups.
    2) I never heard of RF interference in this context.

Donald Wormuth likes this.
  3. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Peterson strobe tuner is the industry standard. Clip on tuners are for home practice IMO.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Peterson is known for high quality strobe and virtual strobe tuners. You can get a bench-top model, a stomp box or an Android or iOS app. I use both bench-top and iOS versions.

5. Check eBay or Reverb for a used Petersen. I have a Stroboflip on the bench at home and it works great. I don’t think I’d trust a clip on for setups. The one I have is iffy at best for bass.

6. Cloven Hoof

Cloven Hoof Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Texas
    I'm not an expert in radio freq. but if iirc most radios and devices transmit higher than hertz. I think 10 kilohertz might be around the benchmark in N. America. I think that is the std. freq. time signal with certain maritime being around that kilohertz as well. Remote controls and bluetooths are usually quite higher.

7. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I have one of these Peterson stomp tuners.

I love it, worthy investment.

48AE41A0-7BF8-4605-8287-4559EB4D667A.jpeg

BLDavis likes this.
  8. OregonJim

OregonJim

Apr 3, 2021
    True strobe tuners are the way to go if you plan on doing setups for others. True strobe tuners read the string vibration OPTICALLY with a strobe light (hence the name), and are not affected by the sympathetic vibrations of neighboring strings. Peterson did the industry a disservice by calling their ELECTRONIC tuners "strobe" tuners, because they're not. Some of their bench models are, but they confused an awful lot of people with their marketing games. StroboStomp and StroboClip are NOT strobe tuners.

Re the RF thing: Long cables with poor shielding can act as antennas and inject RF energy into a tuner (or anything else at the other end of the cable). So yes, clip-on tuners eliminate that problem, but so do good quality cables.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Giffro, BLDavis and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Gotta agree with the others. But you don't need to spend a fortune. The TC Unitune is as accurate a tuner as any I've used when it's in strobe mode, it clips on, and it's only like $27.

Jeff Hughes and JohnnyBottom like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Suspended

Peterson pile-on, here. I still have one of my Korg DTR-1 tuners, which is excellent, but my Stroboflip beats it in the accuracy department for intonation setting, by far.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021