Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    what tuner would u recomend?

i want one with letters not a needle for when i de tune, thanx :)
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Korg CA-10 is a small, fairly inexpensive and great working chromatic tuner. I just wonder why I haven't bought one yet.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sabine has a new one that looks pretty hot as one of its NexFX's. It's a stomp box tuner for stage use. Instead of a needle that wanders all over, it uses LED's arranged like a VU meter that are so bright, you can see them in daylight. The footswitch acts as a mute, but the tuner remains on even if you don't mute. Other instruments on the stage don't interfere with its readings.

You can calibrate it.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, if you want to rack-mount it, you can get the Korg DTR-1. I own it. It's really great, has fast tracking, and displays the letter of the note you're tuning! If you don't mind spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $275, I'd go for the DTR-1.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    So does the CA-10, but I think it's somewhere around $30 as opposed to $275. ;)

Stay away from "Qwik-Tune", though (if they even are available where you are?). Their budget tuners were without doubt the worst ones I have used. Even with a perfectly fresh battery, tracking a note takes around 2-3 seconds, EXTREMELY irritating.
  6. I bought a Qwik Tune the other day. They made like a second, better version. It works very well. No tracking problems and its accurate.
  7. You should check out the BOSS pedal tuner. it displays the letter, which is something you said you wanted.

I agree with Oysterman though, you don't necesarily need a $275 system to tune. I have a $20 Korg tuner and it tunes the same way any other expensive tuner does. As long as it tunes right, its fine for me. Except I hate Quik-Tune, my friend has one and i tried to tune with it, it was not only irritating, frustrating too.
  8. nymph

Mar 16, 2001
    Bucyrus Ohio
    qwik tuner's are really nice they only cost afraction of what the others would cost and they are very very acurate.
  9. I'll second the BOSS tuner pedal. It works really well and is easy to see. It also can mute during tuning, which is usful for gigs. And its also a power source for other pedals.
  10. ya, i got a qwik tune, and it was cheaper than my strings. the only thing i dont like is its only EADG. if anyone knows a good tuner that can do drop d and all that for under about $50(canadian), i'd like to know about that.
  11. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Heard of the Intellitouch Tuner? No wires or mic needed. Just clip it on the headstock. It is extremely light and accurate. It works by sensing the frequency of your bass' vibrations. Thus you can still tune when your band is playing loud. Very useful when you are late for a gig.
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You can tune drop-D with a regular tuner too. In drop-D, the 12th fret harmonic on your 4th string is the same note as the open 2nd string (duh). So just use the "D" that's already there on your tuner. Or your ears. :)
  13. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Vote number 3 for the Boss stomp box tuner. I think the model number is TU-2. Versatile, easy to read, great as part of a pedalboard...it costs more, but it's built like all Boss boxes (a tank) and IMO is worth the extra dollars.
  14. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    Vote #4 ... Boss TU-2 Tuner all the way.
  15. Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    I have Korg DT-7. It displays the note (in LED), Calibrates, and even has a Buzz Feiten function. Best of all it's under $100.00 .
  16. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    any websites for it? is it even available in england? how much about?
  17. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Another vote for the Boss TU-2. It mutes, it's a power supply, it's built like a tank, and it's deadly accurate. All have this has been said and it's true. The only thing I don't think has been mentioned about it is that it has different tuning modes, unless I'm mistaken and getting it confused with another pedal tuner. I don't know what any of them are since I don't own one.

I personally bought a used Korg DTR1Pro. It's solid black, the note name illuminates from behind, it's pretty much the DTR-2 with a few different features and it's a different color. But I say go with the pedal unless you WANT a rack tuner, if you want a rack one I say go with Korg.
  18. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Another TU-2 fan :)

I'd be interested to know what Mr. T (john turner) and
    other 7-stringers use. Accordin' to Harmony Central , the
    TU-2 goes down to A0 (27.5 Hz). Low F# is around 23 Hz.

(...Intellitouch Tuner?)
        click hyah ;)

...holy crap! :eek: Yo, Embellisher!...`dese guys are in Carollton :D.
  19. TU-2 baby. Works great in bright sunlight when playing outside. Powers my other boss pedals. I keep it in stream/chromatic mode. Quick lock on, and I got mine for $80 new w/ shipping. Mute and tune back up between songs. Locks onto that B quick too.
  20. Hi, Hello, I am Mr. Stick in the Mudd. :D
    How about a tuning fork and these ear things I hear so much about. I guess if you are going to detune a lot a tuner may be your best bet but training the ole' ears isn't a bad thing.