Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Si-bob, Oct 19, 2001.

  1. Si-bob


    Jun 30, 2001
    High Wycombe, UK
    Cranborne Audio
    when i buy new tuners, do i have to buy the bit u wrap the string around seperatly, or are they attached to the tuner?
    are they called bushings?

  2. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, it's part of the tuner. When you buy a tuner, you should get all the parts you need, tuner, screws, etc.

    I don't know if they're called bushings, maybe a native speaker knows.
  3. Si-bob


    Jun 30, 2001
    High Wycombe, UK
    Cranborne Audio

  4. Brendan


    Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I think those are called tuning heads, or heads. Or (according to Bassplayer.com) posts, and alternatly, tuning posts.
  5. lo-end


    Jun 15, 2001
    its a...

    machine head! :cool:
  6. TUNER FACTS 101:

    A single tuner consists of 3 parts - the tuner itself, a bushing, and a set of screws.

    The tuner is comprised of the peg (the part you wrap the string around), a baseplate (mounts the whole assembly to the headstock), a spur gear (attached to the end of the peg), a worm gear on the end of the peghead (the part you turn to tune)

    A bushing is the round metal "collar" that centers the peg in the hole through the headstock. You've got to have these for the assembly to work correctly. Beware of tuners on ebay that are sold without bushings!! It's very difficult to get a matching set seperately.

    Screws are just that - usually #4 or #6 round head wood screws about ½" long.

    It doesn't matter which type of tuner you have - an open gear (Fender style) or an enclosed (Gotoh style) - the parts are the same.