Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metallkasten, Feb 9, 2003.

1. First of all, what brands are the most accurate? Also, Mine has an adjustable frequency thingy, what frequency should it be at?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Most of the ones I've seen that allow adjustment use "A" as a reference and let you change it away from 440hz.

I have no idea which is most accurate; just about all are better than I can discern. The only problems I've ever had were with the ability to recognize a low B.

I've used Seiko's for several years with no complaints. My daughter has a $15 Korg that seems every bit as good. One with a backlight is awfully handy on a dark stage.

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Korg DTR series.....all you'll ever need.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. I've used a Seiko for years with no problems, but I'm considering getting a Boss pedal tuner so I can tune my E string down to a C.

So far I've been tuning the C by ear (ooh er!). In fact, I change bass just for this song mid-set, so I can tune it beforehand and also because my musicman gives me the sound I like for that song.The string is so loose, it's hard to get right.

Does anyone know of other tuners that would allow me to tune it to C? I know I could use a capo when tuning.

I still think I'd find it too stressful to tune it on stage between songs.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Just get a chromatic tuner so that you can tune to whatever you want. For my 5 i use a cheapie Korg CA20, i tune using the octave harmonics. Thats all

7. The Boss TU-70 goes from low B to High C.

8. I use the Boss TU2. It has a setting for Bass, but indicates string number instead of notes when set for the bass, 54321 instead of BEADG. Tunes the B string just fine.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

10. Having read that post Blisshead - it all sounds very convincing that the Boss TU2 is the way to go.

They retail at about £65 here in the UK, so there are cheaper ways of doing it, but I borrowed one and it seems to do the job well. I like the nice large display too.

I could be wrong - but I think KeiBau, it will give you which note, rather than string number, if you set it on the chromatic mode as opposed to the bass mode.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Nope, your right. It goes by note when set to chromatic.

12. Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that in Bass mode the TU2 indicates string number instead of the note letter, which is so. But in Chromatic mode, the tuner indicates string letter and can also be used to tune the Bass.

13. That's settled then - you all know what you're talking about! :D

I just have to get my hands on one now!

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    TU-2, love it. I leave it in chromatic mode.

If you have other pedals to power, the TU-2 can provide it, given that you buy the little daisy chain cable required for doing so.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I would buy the visual sound plug and daisy chain, it's higher quality and the boss one seems to wiggle out of MXR type pedals.

16. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Are there links to buy those online? I was thinking I might like a backup.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Scenic setting optional.
    [​IMG]

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Korg AT-2 at home.
    I use the tuner in my Zoom 506 ll on stage/at practice.

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a Korg DTR-1 in my rack and it works great. If you don't want to spend that much or want a pedal I'd go with the Boss TU-2. As far as tracking goes they are both very good.