Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tung oil + dye?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Monkey, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I was wondering if you can add dye to tung oil... I have a brand new can of tung oil from StewMac, and I have a bottle of the StewMac's dye. Is it possible to mix the dye into the tung oil to make a transparent but darker finish? Has anyone tried this?

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Try it with a small amout of each. It should be apparent very quicly if they will mix. If they don't the dye will just sort of ball up into little specks.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Personally, I would dye first then oil. Or, get a commercial colored tung product like Woodburst.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If it's the Colortone stuff, then it's supposed to be oil soluble. There are directions on the bottle.

I found that it was hard to get the dye to penetrate evenly when it was mixed with the oil. I much prefer the results I've gotten with alcohol as a base. Either way, it's not terribly easy to hand-apply these dyes evenly.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks a lot for the input. I think I'll try a little on some scrap.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd be hesitant to mix the dye with the oil. I've used polyurethane/stain mixes, and you have to be very careful about coating thickness and sanding. (My own results were less than stellar.) Since the dye is mixed with the coating, making a colored coating, thicker areas of coating are darker and thinner areas are lighter. This means that any uneven application, or uneven sanding, will create color differences. I guess you'd have to be good with a spray gun, and sand very evenly (especially at those edges!).