Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tung oil finished neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by negative57, May 12, 2002.

1. i recently refinished my bass and the neck the body is doing fine, and i used tung oil on the neck, but now it is peeling or somthing, should i have put furniture wax on it or what i need help , thanks

2. Give us a better idea of what is happening -

Is the tung oil on the fretboard or the back of the neck?

Did the neck have a finish in place already?

Was the neck raw when you applied the tung oil?

Describe the peeling material.

These will help identify the problems. Sorry to say this but properly applied tung oil is about as simple a finish as you can have. What's wrong should be an easy call.

3. i think it is cuz i didnt let it cure , but any ways, the peeled material was like dead skin i thought it was . the wood was raw on the bac of the neck

4. Tung oil only works on raw wood. The wood can be stained but that's about it. In most forms suitable for guitar finishing, the oil will be absorbed into the grain and then harden (that's why the tung oil needs to be "polymerized"). The oil will continue to soak and harden until the subsequent coats become a hard finish on the top. This top layer should be very smooth to achieve a high gloss finish. After final curing (not just drying) the oil finish is then waxed to really pop the shine.

If you haven't yet, go over to the Musical Instrument Makers Forum at www.mimf.com and get into the "Finishes" forum. It's likely that all of your questions will be answered there.

5. thanks hambone i didnt even no there was such a forum, another case of my ignorence