Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tung Oil On Peavey Grind Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by XtromatriX, Mar 30, 2005.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I have peavey Grind NTB with what I was told is an oil finish.
    I was wondering if I need to use some 100% tung oil on the neck to protect it? I had another bass that had a neck finish like the Peavey Grind NTB, and I used some Formby's Tung Oil on it and it gave the neck a sticky feel that I really didn't like. Wold 100% Tung oil protect the wood without that sticky feel? I'm not a luthier and really have no idea on what's best to use. Thanks :)

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    actually a 100% tung oil is more likely to give you that sticky feel. I have found that Tru-oil dries to a hard smooth finish without any of the stickyness of straight Tru-oil. I might lightly sand the neck first to remove the oil you put on it before aapplying the Tru-oil

3. I've got a Grind NTB too and there's going to be more work to it than that. The mahogany used in these necks has got a fairly open grain (if yours is like mine) and oiling will keep it from drying out but it won't make it any smoother. If there's any small complaint I have about my Grind it's the roughness of the neck wood. The REAL thing to do would be to do a pore filling with something crystal clear (Crystalac?) and then oil the neck with TruOil like Skorzen suggested. He's also dead on about the Formby's. I tried that stuff early on and while it might be OK for furniture, it makes a mess of instruments. The one sure fire way you can tell the TruOil is OK for your bass is to keep in mind that it's designed for use on firearms. Guns get a lot of handling and rough use and their owners will not tolerate sticky stocks, or gunky buildup on their hardware. Maybe you are just as particular? :D

4. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thank you both for the info... I really would like a smooth feeling neck rather than a sticky feeling one so I'll try the Crystalac and the Tru-Oil. I do feel like the wood grain is open and needs to be filled, when I can rub my finger nail across it and feel the grain I see future problems down the road. Thanks again guys this really helps. Also Hambone What Grind NTB do you have 4, 5 or 6? and do you like the bass? I have the 4 string and thinking of getting the 5 string soon.

5. I've got the Grind 5. It's the one and only 5 I've ever owned - I'm an old curmudgeon that can't get off of his 4's. I love it! This was the one that "spoke" to me. The tone is distinctive and powerful and it plays easily. It also doesn't hurt that it gets mistaken for much more expensive Peavey's either!

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've only tried the Grind 5. I like the body scallop and there is something about the neck (if only it had more of a finish). I seem to be able to play faster with a Grind than most basses I've played. I didn't like the weight, though. Maybe it's just me, but it felt like it weighed a good 20 pounds.

7. I've told the story to lots of guys that look at these basses to line 'em up by color - lightest to darkest. When we did it in our store with about 7 instruments, we found out that the darker ones were the lighter basses. Mine is really dark and quite light compared to every other lighter version I run across.

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hmm.... interesting. If I remember correctly, the one I tried was pretty light (in color).

9. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Mine Is a darker one and seems not to have much weight to it at all, it's the 4 string and I really havn't played on the 5 strings yet. Hambone, are the lighter ones made from a different type of wood than the darker ones, and have you noticed any diffence in tone between the lighter and darker ones? I hope that I can get a 5 string Grind NTB that sounds and feels as good as my 4 string.

10. No, it's all the SA walnut (imbruya), just different shades. I didn't play all of them but I didn't notice much tone difference in the ones I did play. I don't know for sure but my experience with soapbar pups recently is that this is where growl comes from. I have active's in my maple Jazz and it's a wolf and I've got them in the Grind and it's got that dark edge too.

11. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    You have active pups in both your maple jazz and your grind? Just wondering because from your post I take it that you replaced the passive soapbars in the Grind with active ones, and if this is the case where do you get better soapbars that will fit the Grind without any wood work?

12. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Japan Drier can help you avoid that sticky feeling that you can get with tung oil. This is an agent that will speed the drying process of oil based paints, enamels, and varnishes....experiment first and not on the neck! I've used this stuff with Watco and got very good results on furniture, buy never on a neck. Thin your oil with a little mineral spirits and the correct amount of Japan Drier, and build thin coats. Waterlox Tung oil has been a favorite of high end art furniture makers and wood turners for years(not to mention gym floors) when used this way.

BTW....Formby's is junk. Waterlox is what I've used for last several years and it is great.

13. Nope, sorry, I reread that and what I meant it to say was that I use a passive set of soapbars on the Grind. The common thread between the two instruments is the soapbars - one set passive the others in an active circuit.

14. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks Hambone for clearing that up for me, I thought you may have changed your Grind from Passive to active. In fact Passive or active doesn't really matter to me at this point because there are so many external preamps that a bass player can get to do what's needed, but with that said I still wouldn't mind having an active bass that sounds good at the right price. I am looking to put new passive pups in the Grind though, thinking about EMG... Do you know of any that will fit without having to do any wood work?

-Xtro