Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tung Oil or Other Finishes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EmInEnT_BaSsIsT, Feb 11, 2002.

1. I just defretted my bass and I was wondering where I would be able to find tung oil or any other kinds of finishes that would be suitable. Should I check my local hardware store? Also, is there a problem with not filling in the slots, because I talked to someone who didn't do it for like a year and he didn't have any problems.

2. Sorry Em, but your going to get it from me...

[rant on]
    Not filling in the slots?? Tell me you aren't going to alter your instrument and then not complete the job! There is something simply...wrong...with leaving this simple step undone. I don't believe you truly appreciate your instrument (and maybe the gift of music in general) to even suggest this.
    [rant off]

3. I was just wondering if it was a problem, not saying that I wasn't going to do it

4. You can leave the slots unfilled. I doubt it would do much to the overall quality of the bass, other than the resale value. You might as well finish it though, it isn't all that tough. I just did this myself. Go to your local hardware store and get some filler. I used this crap called "Plastic Wood" which is basically sawdust mixed with an epoxy. It comes in different colors, if you want an unlined fretboard. Mine is a rosewood fretboard, but I got light colored filler, so it has fretlines. It is easy to apply, and takes only minutes to dry.

You can find Tung oil pretty much anywhere. Try your local hardware store first.

What type of fretboard do you have? Rosewood is a very soft wood, and might get chewed up pretty bad by the strings.

5. My fretboard is rosewood.

6. My fretboard is rosewood, too. I put a thick clearcoat on top of it with Polycrylic. I haven't yet been able to play it, since I don't have the pick ups yet, and just got the body. But, it is smooth and well proteced. I hope it doesn't affect the tone, but from what I read in the past threads about defretting, it shouldn't. You might want to clearcoat your fretboard. It's better than having to need your fretboard repaired or replaced a year from now.

7. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    NONO WAIT! I've killed a couple perfectly good basses like this, I would strongly recommend you get veneer wood to fill the slots with instead of plastic wood ( I used 'liquid metal' on one and epoxy rosewood dust on an other of those two the rosewood was better but still looked bad, and has tricky to level) , CLEAN THE SLOTS WELL! also do yourself a favor get a radius sanding block.