tung oil over CA?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pacmanb, Nov 8, 2005.

1. pacmanb

Jan 19, 2005
    Hello everyone :D

I'm refinishing a bass that I built a couple of months ago, the body is walnut with spalted beech top. The beech looks really nice, but as you know, spalted woods are usually pretty soft. Even though this one is hard finished, it already has some nice dings and scratches all over it.
    I think the walnut woud look way better if it's oiled, and I don't think I like the gloss finish on the spalted top either. So I'm thinking of oil finishing the whole thing, but before that I think I MUST do something to make the top more durable. CA works great IMO, I've already tested it. Do you think it would be a problem for the oil to penetrate through the top, since there is CA that's in the pores of the wood already? And could there be any problem with oil reacting with CA?
    I think I've seen some of those Larry's acrylized tops that are oil finished...
  2. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    Yep. If you've filled the pores and sealed it (with CA) then the oil will only sit on top. That doesn't mean that you can't put a commercial "tung oil" on top; a lot of that stuff has enough hardeners in it to work like a semi-clear coat. I won't be as hard as finishes that are intended to sit on top of the wood, but it can.

Personally, I would put a hard finish on it... poly-u, nitro, etc.
  3. pacmanb

Jan 19, 2005
    I might use satin poly...we'll see :D