Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tung oil question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 15, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    How many coats do you apply. I use it for bodys and necks and was wondering......t

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I use two coats of the Polymerized Tung Oil Sealer from Lee Valley, and then several coats (4-6) of the Polymerized Tung Oil from Lee Valley. Based on an article I found a while back, I wet sand the Tung Oil (NOT the sealer, just the Tung Oil coats) in starting with 400 grit on the first coat, then 600 grit for the 2nd, then 1000 grit for the 3rd and remaining coats. This creates, as the author of the article called it, "a slurry of oil and wood dust" that is then absorbed into the wood grain.

Finally, again according to the article, I use Watco Satin Finishing wax, and wet sand the bass with it using 1000 - 1500 grit paper.

The article is at:

http://home.insightbb.com/~jpaquay/oil_fin.txt

The only thing you might need to watch for, is if you have a really dark wood next to a light wood (ie: wenge next to maple, etc.), you might get a slight bit of the darker or lighter wood "slurry of oil and dust" in the grain/pores of the other wood. I avoid this by using 2-3 coats of the Polymerized Tung Oil Sealer first and not sanding these coats at all.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very cool Thanks ......T