Tung oil = wood oil?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr M, May 21, 2002.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
  2. No (because tung <>wood --> tung oil <> wood oil)

0 vote(s)
  3. Sometimes

1 vote(s)
  4. Nah, tung oil = carrot oil

1 vote(s)
  1. After reading in lots of place I decided to use tung oil on my bass that will be built. But the thing that I don't know what is the tung oil :D ..

I went to check a big market: Bauhaus (the one you know where you can find 100 different type of hammer :), construction tools, paint, guys looking to drills with smiling face, the same face of women buying shoes :D etc.) I asked if they have Tung oil and I tried to explain that I'd use it on an instrument the only thing they offered me was a can with a "Wood oil" label, the other writings were in german and I hardly know a word in german. Is it the same thing with Tung oil? What other name can "Tung oil" have, I mean is it a natural liquid or something produced with some chemicals (if so what are those chemicals as I can check if that can contains those chemicals).

Maybe the german name of "Tung oil" can be helpful as the market being a German brand has lots of thing from Germany.
  2. Tung oil is a product of the Tung tree. It is a very good finish for fine woods as you've likely read. You will find it as "tung oil", "polymerized tung oil", or even under the name "Tru-Oil. The latter is a product of the Birchwood-Casey company and is aimed at the gunstock market. Simple tung oil can be a decent finish but the polymerized type products make a better finish because they harden to a superior buffable gloss that is very tough. Just about all of the major finish manufacturers make a tung oil product like:

Perhaps you could ask a local furniture refinisher about where he gets tung oil products.
  3. Thank you very very much for sharing info Hambone! I'll go to check furniture refinisher... Thanks again
  4. Uh-oh!
    I've been using it to polish the inside of my mouth all this time!
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Tung tree? Man I'd like to live in those woods :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D