Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tung oil ...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by maurilio, Oct 31, 2003.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey guys,
    I need some help. I`m finishing a warmoth neck with tung oil (I know `bout the warranty...!). Is turning pretty good, but the oil takes forever to dry! What could I use to make it drying faster? (I`m using the "formsby`s"). There`s also some scratchs on the front of the peghead. What "grade" of sand paper should I use to levelling them? With the steel wool doesn`t work.
    Many thanks

Mo`

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Formsby's has driers in it unless you have 100% pure tung oil. It should dry overnight. You should applying a coat, waiting a half hour or so, and then wiping off the excess.

What grade to clean up scratches with will depend on how deep the scratches are. Try to get it out with 220. Then come back to 320 if the scratches came out.

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Thanks,
    it`s the "regular" Formsby`s varnish tung oil. I usually put a thin coat with a rag, but I wasn`t wiping off the excess! If I`m gonna apply some heat would help?

Mo`

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    applying heat is not recomended for musical instruments.

5. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Yep, you`re right!
    But I was thinking to use the heater on the bathroom... I mean, leave the neck there over night...so it`s drying also the air... sounds crazy, uh!? :meh:

Anyway, thanks for your reply :)

For FBB, I used the 320, it worked. Thanks

Mo`

6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I would not recomend it. I don't know that it will be a problem, but I don't know that it will not either. It's just a question of the risk you are willing to take.

7. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Certain varinishes won't dry over oily tropical woods like cocobolo, rosewood, sometimes even ebony. What type of wood is your neck made of?

8. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    It`s a bird`s eye maple. I`m doing better now, I`m trying with a thinner coat and it`s drying faster. I also have turned up the heater in my "studio", so the room is a little bit warmer. Looks like it`s working!

Thanks